GB3FT - A new DATV repeater for Fylde coast and surrounding area

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

GB3FT - A new DATV repeater for Fylde coast and surrounding area

Post by G4WIM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 pm

GB3FT is coming along nicely and under going tests using clause 10 from my qth before being installed at it's final location.

I've created a qrz.com page for it which contains a summary. I'll add more info to it as time permits.

Also in the coming months expect to see an article about its creation.

The intent is to foster more activity in the North West and maybe eventually link up with other repeaters.

Many thanks to GM4ISM, G3ZGZ, G3RFL, G3WGU, G0AIN, G4EWJ who all contributed in someway to the creation of GB3FT.
Now we continue to wait for license approval.....
Attachments
GB3FT Front 50.jpg
GB3FT Front 50.jpg (536.24 KiB) Viewed 6660 times

G8ADM

Re: GB3FT - A new DATV repeater for Fylde coast and surrounding area

Post by G8ADM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 am

That looks a very nice repeater, well done. Do you have a QRA locator for the repeater. 73

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm

currently at my qth beaming north IO83NS, but will be moving to the QTH of G3WGU, Check out GB3FT on qrz.com.
Also hope to add a 146.5MHz rx before too long beaming SE from the Fylde.

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:39 am

GB3FT is now at its final location and seems to have reasonable coverage - still waiting for a decision on license approval so we're using Steve's callsign G3WGU under clause 10.

It can be turned on / off by sending the appropriate DTMF commands on 144.750MHz.

It also has a 146.5MHz RBW rx which should be operational in the next few days - just waiting for yagi to be installed.

I also have 146.5MHz tx / rx capability and would welcome any direct tests.

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

A new forum has been created in the ATV Repeaters section for GB3FT. Send me a PM with the location and technical stuff and I will fill them in for you.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Unfortunately the Fylde area is quite well screened from my QTH in IO84tm. When my Portsdown is complete (soon I hope) I intend to get out /P and may be able to access from one of the hills around here. Ian G4EXD is working on a Portsdown too and is not far from here so fingers crossed.

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Dave,

good to hear you're building a Portsdown - I've built one myself and very pleased with it. Four other locals here on the Fylde coast are building them as well, plus another couple have Pluto units so we have a small core of ATV operators locally.

Maybe work you when you're out portable ?

73 Tim

VK5YYY

Post by VK5YYY » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 am

Nice job
Just a suggestion about the 3 AV leads that connect to top and bottom box
Generally thin leads don't have much copper in them and can cause degradation of picture quality
The Yellow video lead in particular may benefit from having some good shielding
To protect it from some of the nasties that live in a repeater hut
It may do nothing, but it's good protection
A piece to RG6 Quad or RG59 Dual with F types and a couple of F to RCA adapters would be what I'd use

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for the tip re RCA leads, a similar thought had passed thru my mind as well, however fortunately the repeater is located in a fairly benign location (loft space) and is easily accessible should the need arise.

Bigger problem is the performance of the 146.5MHz rx which currently seems 'deaf'. Not sure if the rx is getting blocked or if the antenna is not performing as it should, hopefully will get it sorted out before too long.

73 Tim

Return to “General ATV Discussion”