Mini-kits Amplifiers

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M0YDH

Re: Mini-kits Amplifiers

Post by M0YDH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello Ray
A Pentium P4 heatsink is an awkward item to house.
I took it to Maplins where I found that diecast box N72FK at 188 x 120 x 78 will house the amp heatsink and fan in 1 or 2 orientations with fair clearances.
Fan face to top of Mitsubishi sender unit is 72mm. The fan is 92 long and 73 high. As a time served mechanical fitter I shall enjoy making the amp enclosure.

I want to evaluate a LCD volt and a meter for voltage drop before fitting it permanently. That will give some good indication of what's going on. I have to find a home for the sequencer and Mini-kits bias tee. Everything I do in ATV is a personal first.....

Unlike the expert thread hijackers I as a beginner have to believe the instructions! Mini-kits low pass filter is ready. Noel measured its performance at CAT17and pronounced it satisfactory.

All the best
David M0YDH

M0DHP

Post by M0DHP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm

M0YDH wrote:Everything I do in ATV is a personal first.....
Many thanks for the numbers, David. I'm in the same situation - have to say, I'm enjoying it hugely!

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 am

Hi David,

What you are doing is fantastic and is exactly what the Portsdown project set out to achieve as a platform to enable first time and returning ATVers to get in to DATV and learn a lot on the way.

However, your comments about experts hijacking the thread could be misconstrued as criticism, which I am sure it was not :-), and not in the spirit of the ATV community as without people like Mike we would be nowhere. I admit, some of the threads go over my head, but I learn by reading them and using Google to learn more.

BTW - we are about to publish Dave G4FRE's simple power monitor bar graph display in the next CQ-TV - a very useful simple facility for monitoring the RF output of your PA if it has a sensor on the output. (And there will be PCBs in the shop)

73 Noel - G8GTZ

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks Noel and I was, as you guessed correctly, teasing .
My Portsdown is poorly at the moment and receiving GKQ assistance.
I thought about the AD8307 circuit I made and I did have a bar graph driver circuit both from a John Fielding RSGB book. I look forward to the new circuit. I hope to get further with the sequencer and wonder if that will become a club PCB too.
David M0YDH

g0nzo

Post by g0nzo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Mike,

Thanks.
I should be able to squeeze a bit more filtering onto the PCB.
(I'm not using a MiniKits PCB, but I am using the same PA module. My PCB has no additional filtering.)

Jules

Return to “General ATV Discussion”