ATV on 6cms - It's Cheap and Easy on 5665MHz

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g6urm

Re: ATV on 6cms - It's Cheap and Easy on 5665MHz

Post by g6urm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:46 pm

thanks, Shaun - yes I saw that - and as I have the same sort of dish coming, is why I asked - that's a nice neat job.

but when you say " commonly seen at rallies " again it's not the case down here - in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw anything like that SW of Exeter.lol so i guess that's one thing I will be looking for at the flight refueling do in August - as there seemed to be a fair bit of stuff there - but I shall be VERY surprised if I find one before at the next local rally

thats why i used to love the old longleat rally - if you could not find it there - it probably did not exist !! - got a couple of 1.3 ghz circulators from there which where in my system for many years whilst GB3WV ( now defunct ) was about , for a fiver each if memory serves - but down this way noooooo chance - just people selling stuff that does not work half the time or general tat ( but i won't go into that as i got stung recently - but remember the "trader " so next time our paths cross words will be said . :evil: :evil: )
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:00 pm

As we near another activity weekend I thought it was about time I tested my second generation setup; I built it before Christmas. :oops: Here's one of the picture taken early this morning close to Ivinghoe Beacon; my planned location for 5th May activity. The gentleman on the monitor is Arthur G4CPE whose breakfast I interrupted for the test. Pictures were P5 both ways and no smoke. ;)
The hill in the background is Dunstable Downs.

resized_20180426_094802.jpg
resized_20180426_094802.jpg (151.41 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 pm

soooo a couple more parts for the project turn up today - the needed reverse to normal sma adaptors and the tx's with the sma fittings - you will remember I mistakenly got one with a fixed antenna ........................ any hoo so i'm looking at the thing and consulting the book of words that was printed on the carton , and it says audio - 6.5 MHz .................. but unlike the other tx there is no audio IN connection/wire .............. scratch head - looking on the back I notice a TINY and I mean tiny - as small as this O - piece of cloth - like you have on a MICROPHONE :shock: :shock: :shock: - and from the looks of it - it is indeed just that ................... hummm - something to watch out for if you buy these things ................. I suppose I could unsolder this tiny thing and put flying leads in - but my eyes ain't good enough to see to do it - but not all is lost as I can just shout loudly at the tx when I go out ..................... should cause a few odd looks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 am

Brett,
Perhaps you could post a few photographs to show what you mean. I am sure that someone here could explain it. With my TX, I had to make up the output cable. The header and each wire was supplied loose.
73 Shaun.

G4FRE

Post by G4FRE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:03 am

I got so frustrated with the reverse SMA issue that i got some non reversed SMA connectors of the matching profile off ebay and replaced the ones on my TS832 and RC832

Dave
G4FRE

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 pm

ok as you will see - lead out on TS832 - RED /BLACK =dc volts in - YELLOW =VID IN - BLACK = GROUND THE OTHER RED IS CAMERA VOLTS OUT .......... no audio lead ............... but that little black thing arrowed appears to be the mic - the board has audio on it so this must be it - sorry cant get any closer - camera not up to much
Attachments
DSCF2528_LI.jpg
DSCF2528_LI.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 3808 times

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22 am

M0SKM wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:00 pm
As we near another activity weekend I thought it was about time I tested my second generation setup; I built it before Christmas. :oops: Here's one of the picture taken early this morning close to Ivinghoe Beacon; my planned location for 5th May activity. The gentleman on the monitor is Arthur G4CPE whose breakfast I interrupted for the test. Pictures were P5 both ways and no smoke. ;)

That looks a nice sturdy setup Steve just the job for a for a gale force wind on top of a mountain LOL (we don't have mountains here in Norfolk Shire but we have heard of them!)
What's the gain on the antennas?

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 am

BTW found on Ebay yesterday the usual TX type modules we use on 5gz but interestingly this one was 2 watts output with antenna protection. Not sure if that means high SWR or with no antenna fitted? Have a look here. I haven't searched yet but it maybe cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8G-2000mW- ... 2406909221?

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:38 am

G8JAN wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22 am
M0SKM wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:00 pm

That looks a nice sturdy setup Steve just the job for a for a gale force wind on top of a mountain LOL (we don't have mountains here in Norfolk Shire but we have heard of them!)
What's the gain on the antennas?
Hello Pete
Top end is solid but the tripod is a let down; no individual leg adjustment. One leg was stood on a brick I keep in the car. :roll:
Next week I should be collecting a modification for a surveyor tripod I acquired.
Claimed gain is 27dB and the TX has a 2.5W PA. My other setup uses a relay but I decided to have separate TX/RX grids on MK2.

Best 73
Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:51 am

only thing with these "2w" tx's is i would think you certainly need some forced cooling - as even the 600 mw ones run warm- hot after a while

and again looking at the wires out - it may have the same mic /audio problem as mine have ( see post re this ) - however, a thought hit me at about 2 am this morning - one could fit a short length of plastics tube over the built-in mike and have like a speaking tube ........... we used to have a similar system called an "acoustic hood " fittable to our fire service pagers for working in noisy environments - old school - but they worked :geek:

Return to “General ATV Discussion”