Im new here so be kind please...I need info!

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
capone1

Im new here so be kind please...I need info!

Post by capone1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi All

I haven't got a clue if my idea can be achieved but here goes....

I am a chairman of a amateur car racing club we use transponders attached to the cars for lap times and results as you see in F1 racing.
Is there a way that I can send the live timing from the laptop to TV's that are in camper vans in the pits via the tv aerial so basically you tune the tv in as you would normally and pick up the live timing.
The distance from race control to the back of the pits would be no more than 100meters.

Hope someone can help

Thanks Again

G8ADM

Re: Im new here so be kind please...I need info!

Post by G8ADM » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:31 am

This is technically possible.
However you will need a licence from OFCOM
This will tell you what frequencies that they would let you use for this.
When this is known you can look for some hardware.
Dave.

capone1

Post by capone1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks Dave G8ADM for the reply

Could you tell me at what cost roughly it would be to get a licence from OFCOM and is it difficult to get one also at what cost roughly for the equipment / hardware.
Thanks

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:34 am

Hi, try looking here:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/

I don't know what your application is but it could come under "Programme Making and Special Events" but best to speak to them.

There is a calculator http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomm ... pmse/fees/

A video link for a couple of days would cost £112 per frequency. If that is too much you might want to re-consider and use WiFi.

Mike

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:14 am

Hi

Your application is more likley to come under low power telemetry (PMSE are for professional video links) and depending on the distance you want to consider the licence free units at 437 MHz may well do the job.

A quick google of "low power telemetry" will bring up loads of units but you would need to write software for the application - Realistically you may get 50 metres out of these units in your environment but may well run in to trobule with too many transmitters on at once.... and wi-fi is another option.

Noel - G8GTZ

Return to “General ATV Discussion”