satellite reciever

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
lenm1dpe

satellite reciever

Post by lenm1dpe » Sat May 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi all can any one please tell me what I have to do to the Amstrad srd400 satellite receiver to get it to work on atv .Len

g4wvu

Re: satellite reciever

Post by g4wvu » Sun May 17, 2015 9:31 am

Not much Len, it will tune to the 23cm band as is - However it will be deaf so requires a pre-amp ( 20dB gain at least would be good) unless you are lucky enough to live very close to a repeater. It will also have low video output level as the analogue sat. transmissions had wider deviation than we typically use for analogue ATV. I don't remember much about the SRD400 except it had a videocrypt decoder built in & was of fairly messy construction quality. It obviously will not resolve up any Digital DVB signals. So a few things to consider....beyond the scope of a forum but plenty of back info is available from the BATC

Good luck

Mark

lenm1dpe

Post by lenm1dpe » Sun May 17, 2015 11:44 am

Hi Mark do I have to cut the circuit board to stop the power going to the lnb when antenna fitted.Len

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Mon May 18, 2015 9:01 am

Len,
If the aerial you are using is a short circuit to dc, you must isolate the lnb supply before connecting it. Some receivers have a menu option to turn off the lnb supply, although I would never rely on that alone. Earlier receivers had a replaceable fuse in the lnb supply line, which could be removed. If you don't want to modify the receiver, or can't find the line to cut, then it is possible to buy an F type dc blocker adapter for about £3. This is probably the simplest solution and the one I use on my receivers here.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

lenm1dpe

Post by lenm1dpe » Mon May 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Thanks for that I have sent for the blocker.
Len

Return to “General ATV Discussion”