Magni Signal Creator Help Needed

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
glen_turner2002

Magni Signal Creator Help Needed

Post by glen_turner2002 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi All, I've got a Magni Signal Creator that works but has only been programmed with a few NTSC test cards I looking for anyone who has one of these that could help me as I need a copy of their PCMCIA with Pal Test Cards on or the software to program this thing myself.
I'd really like to be able to use this equipment as its a great piece of kit (When it works)

Any info or help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Glen - G7MNP

silicon-ark

Re: Magni Signal Creator Help Needed

Post by silicon-ark » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Dear Glen,
I have a magi, also with a dead PCMCIA card, However, these cards carry an onboard battery which can be accessed by removing a very small cross head screw at the back edge of the card. Replacing this battery may well bring the card back into play, albeit without the data.
It's worth noting that there are also four onboard batteries , a small one on the card reader, and the font card and larger fixed lithiums on each of the two output cards....not good news. On power up it first checks for a PCMCIA card, the goes into "sulk" mode with everything lit up ,stating "processor board battery low" a few menu's are available after doing an esc. , but that's it.
If you get yours running let me know, as you say.. nice bit of kit when working!
regards.
Chris

glen_turner2002

Post by glen_turner2002 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Chris,

My Magni has some NTSC signals on it and I replaced the battery in the PCMCIA Card but I like I said I need the PAL Signals programming into it or a copy of the signals on the card. If I ever come across anything I will give you a shout.

I think pigs will fly before I find anything though...

Glen..

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:36 pm

There's one for sale on the web at $85; from ValueTronics (in the US). An email to them might get you a copy of the programming software.

It's nearly 30 years since I last used one of these in anger (I think it was actually the Magni 750 or 1515), but I think you'll need a parallel port to GPIB cable for programming and the software is probably on 5¼" floppy discs.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

glen_turner2002

Post by glen_turner2002 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look. I didn't realise the unit was that old it looks like a modern piece of equipment.

Regards,

Glen..

Return to “General ATV Discussion”