Repeater Keepers Equipment Database.

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8DKC

Repeater Keepers Equipment Database.

Post by G8DKC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 am

Hi All,

Dave G8AJN was musing on SQ last Sunday about some sort of central database,
so that we could share details of our repeaters, the various receivers and encoder / modulators.

Maybe other data such as modes, bands, frequencies, Fec, Sr, Pids, the usual station parameters.

For those who experiment with the ways of producing digital signals, and with the rash of "mini pcs " now available,
know only too well, everything looks good until you receive the darn signal, to find audio swapped poss stuttering,
and intermittent video for a start, the worst offender is the Sat Rx!

If we knew what was working on one another's systems that could save hours of hair pulling.
We may well have a path to a repeater, also during a lift but don't get in as our systems not compatible,
outside of our own group!

I see that some have extra info on the "UK ATV Repeaters" page on this forum,
and I will start collecting data from streams and websites, but some this maybe out of date.

If you wish to P.M. me or email gb3gv@gb3gv.co.uk with any details now, then that would be the start of a database.

Once all the early graft is over, updating will be a simpler task, If this "only a germ of an idea" could go on line.

But we all need to share data to start a database.

No promises but would an overwhelming response tip the balance?

Peter

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Repeater Keepers Equipment Database.

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am

Peter

Sounds like a great idea. Once you've collected the info (or even as you collect it), I would be more than happy to publish it in the same way as the current info on the Forum.

However, I don't see this as a long-term solution. You heard at the GM that the Committee want to revitalise the Web/forum/streamer presence. I see this information being published on the new system in a better format when we get there.

Thanks

Dave
G8GKQ

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your offer, I was thinking of a more up to date format on an external site,

and as you say it may be a while before Batc presence is updated. could move site if appropriate later.

Spell-check would be great on a new forum. Hi. I often write mine as email doc first.

Will see how it all goes, and the response I get from users, as websites and streams info may be out of date.

Regards & 73

Peter

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Good idea but we do need to think about how to organise it - it could potentially go on the wiki which we do have set up but not made public....

One concern is that we are only a small community and if we spread ourselves too thinly across too many platforms Forums, websites, wiki, twitter and facebook it will all get lost. There's loads of info posted on the stream chat pages as well...

Somehow we need to syndicate / coordinate the information across all the platforms just like we use the forum RSS feed to post the messages on the streaming pages and it's also possible using the RSS feed to automatically tweet any post on the forum....

Noel

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Yes - I was thinking that a Wiki would be ideal. I would like to host the info on the Forum until the Wiki is ready for use, as much of the info is already there (and probably out of date!).

Dave
G8GKQ

btw - if you use the Chrome browser it spell-checks for you on draft forum posts.

G8DKC

Re: Repeater Keepers Equipment Database - Your Data Welcomed

Post by G8DKC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks for the replies,

And to Dave for the Chrome hint for spell-check.

Some good ideas on ways of integrating into the new look Batc experience.

I have been preempted a little, with a data base design being produced.

Will see how it all goes and monitor the take up on the idea.

Hope I haven't frightened you all off with...

""No promises but would an overwhelming response tip the balance?""

Your data welcomed.

Peter

Return to “General ATV Discussion”