23cms Yagi Beamwidth V Gain

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8DKC

23cms Yagi Beamwidth V Gain

Post by G8DKC » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:07 am

Hello All.

Talked to a few souls about a fixed 23cms yagi facing South from GB3GV, It's one of our best directions, and potential number of users.

Have some ideas on number of elements etc, to give maximum coverage, if we get a result from this will install filter and SSB type

preamp at the aerial, if it fails can switch it out, while waiting for maintenance.

Possibly other directions to follow, although North and East pretty grim, with high hills not too far away.

We are hoping to improve signals from Banbury to encourage 3 users with no repeater down there, as we fire across to the I.O.W.

Have looked at Log periodic for 23 and 70 but gain will be low, can only find very expensive military type aerials etc.

Unless you have a design out there?

So how many elements to give us beamwidth and gain, pic attached.

Colin G4KLB says it should face him :)

Peter
Attachments
23cms yagi  to south.jpg
23cms yagi to south.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

M0DTS

Re: 23cms Yagi Beamwidth V Gain

Post by M0DTS » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:41 am

You could, like IV, put a steerable antenna in if you are making the effort to put another antenna up.
I think you already have the streaming pc there to control it now ?
I'm guessing you are looking at a fairly short (15-20el) 23cm yagi to get the wider beam so only a light rotator is needed.

Rob
M0DTS

G8DKC

Re: 23cms Yagi Beamwidth V Gain

Post by G8DKC » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:50 am

Hi Rob,

Due to the masts three boom layout for vertical items, a rotatable yagi may be a problem.
But! If we adjusted the end stops for a smaller arc. It maybe possible to cover SE S SW poss W without major upheaval.
Pc on site.
Under slung rotator would do most of 360, maybe a sturdy CCTV rotator?
Your number of elements look encouraging.

Thanks for the ideas.

Peter

Return to “General ATV Discussion”