Bob Platts G8OZP

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M1PRO

Bob Platts G8OZP

Post by M1PRO » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi Iam new to ATV, So I thought I would dive into the deep end and try 10GHz ATV as I have a few of the Gunn Diodes laying around I picked up in the past.

I have found a few sites on 10GHz and came across G4NJJ site. He states that Bob Platts G8OZP provides the following items:

Gunn Diode Modulator Boards
Modified LNB's
Receiver Kits
24cm Pre-amps

their is a telephone number but this just seems to ring and ring with no answer I have found an email address but the messages seem to bounce back.
can any provide any details if he is still supplying the above items or a way I might be able to make the Gunn diodes produce some ATV signals??

Also I have bought an Amstrad SDR400 complete with a ADX plusI have been told this can be used for receiving 10Ghz ATV do these need a mod for this to work????

I am complete new to ATV so any help would be great.

Maybe I should have started at 23CMS and comtech equipment and work upwards but I like a challenge :lol:

Hope someone can help??????????

Cheers
Jason

M0DTS

Re: Bob Platts G8OZP

Post by M0DTS » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Jason

There will be some circuits for gun diode driver circuits in the back issues of CQTV on the CQTV website, probably a search on google will give you something useful, usually only a handful of components to make one.

There is one here: http://www.atv-projects.com/Gunn_Diode_Controller.html

Bob Platts is still around as far as i know but i dont have any recent contact information either..some one on here will know i'm sure!

I think the Amstrad 400 will work with no mods, maybe just give a little low video output, one thing to note is that the decoder scart socket will provide un muted video 'snow' rather than the normal output with the dreaded blue screen when it is nott seeing a good signal.

You could use it to receive 23cm atv also with an antenna/preamp connected directly to the sat receiver, remember there is 12/18v on the centre of the LNB(antenna) input port and will damage the receiver if it is shorted out.

Good luck..

Rob

M0DTS
http://www.m0dts.co.uk

Return to “General ATV Discussion”