Test gear for a digital ATV beginner?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Test gear for a digital ATV beginner?

Post by Basil » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:30 pm

I am giving serious consideration to making an attempt at digital TX / RX on 23 cms into the Mow Cop repeater. Probably using a Digilite. What sort of test gear am I likely to need? I have an analogue scope, a fairly low end 100 MHz USB scope, and a working spectrum analyzer that will go to 1500 MHz. I also have a frequency counter that will go to 18 GHz. However, I have next to no experience of microwave stuff, or the specifics of digital TV. I do have some SMC soldering experience and fortunately my eyesight for close in work is still excellent. Are there many "gizmos" that I am likely to need? I was thinking of going analogue, but with starting from scratch I feel I might as well embrace current technology? I quite like building stuff, but have a habit of starting more projects than I finish in a reasonable time frame. I think I caught this disease from a friend.... ;) For that reason I need to keep a realistic check on what to build versus what to buy. Thanks.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Test gear for a digital ATV beginner?

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Basil

You seem to be pretty well equipped. I have just built and aligned Digilite with a 10 MHz scope and a simple spectrum analyzer. You will need a digital receiver for end-to-end testing.

I suggest you start building!

Dave
G8GKQ

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

Hi

The other thing worth getting is the Tutioune software from here http://www.vivadatv.org/page.php?p=tutioune-en

It pretty much gives you all the info you need about your (and rx'd) digital signals but does need a specific tuner card (Technotrend S-2300 or S-1600 budget) but these are available on ebay from time to time.

Noel - G8GTZ

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the info guys. Noel: These satellite TV PC tuner cards, are they an alternative to a standalone black box DVB-S receiver, or needed for some other functionality in a RX / TX digital set up? Given a choice is either way of receiving preferable, and will all modern desktop PC mother boards accept these cards? Do they need much processing or video card power, I am about to spec a new PC to replace my dinosaur, and need to address this at the planning stage? I am going to dedicate it to SDR and now perhaps also ATV. Then use my old machine for e-mail and the like. I seem to either misunderstand the levels of the two cards, or there's an error on the VIVA pages, as they say "The Best" card is the 1600 version. I suspect a typo as makers rarely name the best product numerically lower :)

Again, thanks for the advice.

MN-tech

Post by MN-tech » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Setting up a DigiLite is easy. Set the drive level pot with the scope and use the bias pot to null out the LO on the spectrum analyzer. For details go to g8ajn.tv Getting a high quality reading on your receiver will verify you have a good signal.

G4KLB

Post by G4KLB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:18 am

Hi Basil
The previous posters are absolutely correct, In fact you can get a DigiLite to work with no test gear at all, but your current gear will allow you to fine tune it.

As for the Technotrend S-1600 it is reckoned to have a slightly more sensitive frontend and is half the price, I bought the S-3200 assuming as its newer it would be better, before finding this out! either will do just fine.
You don't need a fancy PC either and most use Windows XP for the Technotrend, don't try to run Win8 with Tutioune as the drivers are unsigned.
You can use it as test gear and your main receiver, but DVB-S boxes are very inexpensive now, My favoured one being an old Technomate TM-1500 CI+ Super, The flavour of the month is the Big Sat 1CR.
Most free to air boxes are suitable (but not old SKY boxes)

Return to “General ATV Discussion”