Hi Folks

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
kelvin

Hi Folks

Post by kelvin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am

I want to have a go at Fast Scan TV but dont know where to start, Can any one help with links etc re equipment needed, circuits etc

Thanks in Advance

Kelvin
:D

G0KTD

Re: Hi Folks

Post by G0KTD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Kevin well you are asking about fast scan TV you are starting at a junction in TV World as analog is the main with the Comtech unit which as been the main say in ATV over the past few years, and now Digilite is in the frame M0DTS started with Poor mans Digital which many others have contributed to this in software and board design and it is still in progress, the is a group in USA and helper in the UK on another design and also in Zl so it is all happening bit by bit For myself I have only been in it for a three year's or so started with Comtech unit and a commercial unit which was mod to work on 70Cms, also have built the Digilite system which works well picture quality is brilliant.
I have two 70Cms unit on the go at the moment as the first unit was for 23Cms these are all SMD components see the Digilite web page's on G8AJN web site http://www.g8ajn.tv/ you will see the links to other site's for Comtech as well.
Hope this helps Kelvin

G0KTD Keith

kelvin

Post by kelvin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, im still a bit puzzled, what is the best way to get stated?, ive checked the internet and there's not really a lot explaining whats required.
I had a go at finding out few years ago and gave up due to the lack of info, i would love to give it a try.

many Thanks
Kelvin

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:32 am

Hello Kelvin,

I think you have exposed a weakness in ATV in the UK. Unless you have locals that can help you it is quite bewildering for
a beginner. It would be nice if BATC published a short eBook on how to get started with suggestions of equipment to buy
etc. It would also be useful if someone produced a simple and inexpensive beginners antenna kit. I have a number of people
local to me that want to get started and are in the same situation as you are. They don't know how keen they are going to
be on ATV so don't want to invest a lot of money on something they may not be interested in. I am keen on encouraging
them as I want someone to send pictures to!

What I would do if I was in your situation is find out if you have a local repeater and if so whether it is analogue or digital
and whether it is on air or not. If it is analogue I would buy a receiver board from http://www.13cm.co.uk/
and if it is digital then get a Freesat box. If buying a Freesat box I would go for one that will also run off 12v that way
you can go portable with it. You will probably also need a preamp as a lot of these receivers are quite deaf.
G4DDK sells some nice (cheap, idiot proof) preamps that are suitable http://www.g4ddk.com/SPFAMP.pdf

As far as antennas are concerned I am not sure what to suggest it all depends how committed you are to ATV. I am using a
Sandpiper 22 turn helical beam http://www.sandpiperaerials.co.uk/index ... ucts_id=39.
It is not ideal as it is circularly polarised but it does have a very wide bandwidth and is very robust but you do loose 3db
due to cross polarisation as most ATVers use horizontal polarisation. In the old days local TV groups used to provide
antenna kits for beginners but that no longer seems to be the case (well certainly in the Worthing area). The 23 cms band
is very wide in frequency so an antenna that works on the input of a repeater may not work at all well on the output.

Once you can receive and find out who is local to you then go and ask them for suggestions, all TVers are happy to welcome
newcomers as we always want to see new faces on air and new people to bore with our old video clips!

Hope that helps

- Charles G4GUO

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi Kelvin,

Congratulations on your interest in amateur television fast scan. If you are interested in a USA primer on ATV, may I suggest you look in the BATC Film Archive, RSGB category, for Intro to ATN (or is it Intro to ATV) and watch that 5-10 minute presentation. In it is the basics for setting up a reciever ATV station and also a transmitter ATV station, as well as band plans and suggestions for finding like minded individuals to progress further with ATV

Good luck !
73 Raleigh AC5JW

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 am

It's also worth keeping a look out on 144.750MHz, if you have any local activity then hopefully there will be some stations there willing to help you get started.
144.750 does not seem to get mentioned much these days but it is still widely in use for ATV talkback (and narrowband microwave activity up here in the Tyne/Teesside area)

Rob
M0DTS

Return to “General ATV Discussion”