FIBRE OPTIC INTERNET USAGE FOR BATC SERVERS

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
AC5JW

FIBRE OPTIC INTERNET USAGE FOR BATC SERVERS

Post by AC5JW » Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Has anyone at the BATC been investigating fibre optic Internet access and usage for BATC servers? I am wondering if we would ultimately reduce latency on the web or reduce freezing up as viewed on individual streams.

Since there is a national effort underway to supply fibre optic access to homes and businesses, I thought now would be the time to ask.

73 Raleigh AC5JW
73 Raleigh AC5JW

M0DTS

Re: FIBRE OPTIC INTERNET USAGE FOR BATC SERVERS

Post by M0DTS » Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 am

Hi Raleigh,

As far as i'm aware the main BATC server has an extremely good connection to the web and was one of the main requirements when it was installed.
I'm sure someone with more ifnormation will comment about that...

The main problem is the actual streamer site uplink to the BATC server, i have big problems with latency on GB3KM's uplink but for no aparrent reason, we just live with it for now.
My uplink is ADSL at around 768Kb/s (downlink is only 1.2Mb) and that's the best i can do (fibre is many years away!), i'm sure other streams have similar problems...

I guess the consumer fibre links will still have the same latency problems but overall much higher speed, Business links may get a better service?

Rob
M0DTS

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

OK Rob,

I guess what you are saying is latency and choke points may not originate from the BATC web servers themselves, and that we should consider the extended Internet as well. I guess I should clarify my idea here that in the UK, such choke points and latency should begin to clear up and decongest along with the expanding use of fibre optic networking as a change up from more traditional modes such as copper lines and telephone cabling.

My question was more about finding out about BATC's interest in and pursuit of fibre optic networking as an upgrade to the current network environment. It is entirely possible that fibre networking is already in place, but I wanted to get some details about how BATC servers are using fibre optic lines and how many repeater streams in the UK are using fibre optic networking.
73 Raleigh AC5JW

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I recently viewed a chat post from a repeater stream operator on the BATC network who stated that upgrades to fibre optic infrastucture is in progress.

Are there any stream operators who would like to share their experiences with upgrades to fibre optic infrastructure?
73 Raleigh AC5JW

Return to “General ATV Discussion”