Hi All - Newbie!

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
m1ecy

Hi All - Newbie!

Post by m1ecy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi All,

just a quick post to identify me!

I am Sean M1ECY, and I am currently involved with The British Heritage Television Project, at present I am restoring a band 1 Tv transmitter for possible future use at Alexandra Palace (we are a LONG way off getting the legal side of this sorted!)

Anyway, thought I would join up here, as the concept of ATV interests me anyway, as well as fishing for help from other more knowledgeable types!

I guess next step will be to join the BATC!

73 de M1ECY
Sean

g3pyb

Re: Hi All - Newbie!

Post by g3pyb » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Hello Sean,
Interested in the Band 1 Tx, is this the 10KW Marconi that used to be at Crystal Palace? As a junior engineer I spent my time on the control desk and instide the Tx from time to time.
From memory it had a serial of EL34s in parallel to provide the in series video moduation. With AM sound the antenna combiner with its internal copper finger stock would work like a loudspeaker at times if the copper became oxidised. Very strange to be walking through the TX hall late at night and the combiner would talk to you!!!
I was at CP for the 405line SECAM test after close down on the same 50Mhz video TX using Mike Cox encoder etc. There cant be many transmitters that transmitted 405 Secam Hi.
I was also there for the early BB2 colour transmissions on the very first Klystron PA from EMI.

Yes Sean you must join the BATC.

Regards Peter B g3pyb

m1ecy

Re: Hi All - Newbie!

Post by m1ecy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Peter,

Hmm, we wish!

No, it is an ex Sutton Coldfield STC CG1 500w transmitter......

Still, sounds quite similar in principle - lots of PL38s as the video modulator!

Will Join up come payday!

Cheers
Sean

Return to “General ATV Discussion”