"Pilots", when should they be turned on or off please?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

"Pilots", when should they be turned on or off please?

Post by Basil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:13 pm

Could someone far more technically savvy than I kindly explain how to decide whether "Pilots" should be turned on or off when transmitting please?

Thanks. Chris, 2E0ILY

G3GJA

Re: "Pilots", when should they be turned on or off please?

Post by G3GJA » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:19 pm

DVB-S2 includes pilots to help acquisition of the signal in broadcast environments.

It seems to have no benefit for Amateur reduced bandwidth DATV, so it is normally left disabled.

Clive

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:36 pm

Thanks Clive, I asked because in the "Chat" someone was having trouble decoding another person's marginal signal and asked them to turn Pilots on, after which they claimed to be decoding them fine... I have always left them off as I didn't really understand what they do.

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:13 pm

Perhaps that was me asking for pilots late last night.

I was trying some tweaks in LongMynd to make it work at 35kS. Reception was OK without pilots at 8PSK, but not at 16APSK. The signal locked, but packets were being dropped, presumably due to CRC errors. With pilots turned on, reception was OK at 16APSK and also at 32APSK.

Pilots are blocks of 36 zero symbols inserted every 1440 symbols, just before the symbols are pseudo-scrambled. I assume that they make it easier for the receiver to detect and correct a slip in synchronisation, particularly with the higher modulation modes. It certainly worked for me, but I'm sure that my tweaks are rather less optimum than MiniTioune. I can't find the notes of other tweaks that I did some time ago.

Turning pilots on only consumes about 2.5% of the bandwidth (36 / 1440), so I would leave them on all the time. They may even be a help for software based decoders.

Brian

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion Brian. I will turn on Pilots for a while and see if anything changes, reports wise. So much to learn with all of this, fascinating stuff. All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”