SERIT NIM checking suggestion

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

SERIT NIM checking suggestion

Post by radiogareth » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:33 pm

With the current lack of SERIT NIMS it crossed my mind that some of us may have units that are 'suspect' or have perhaps suffered some RF duress maybe on one channel.
I'm proposing to build a MiniTiouner test board with suitable sockets for NIMS to be plugged in such that I can quickly test a NIM and hopefully end up with a few working or part working modules (like on one channel or with no LNB volts) that can be returned to the owner or passed on as 'used but working' to the hobby.
I have found that I can fairly quickly remove a NIM from the PCB, generally without damaging the PCB (although they are available as spares).
If you have any units that you want testing, send me a PM for details of how we might proceed. The curse of postage, especially if one is sent mounted on a PCB (so greater than 25mm thick) will need consideration
This is proposed as a 'free' service to UK amateurs (initially, mainly due to customs nonsense involved in sending/receiving stuff from the EU) and there is no guarantee of success.
Some NIMS are better than no NIMS - my own home station Minitiouner is deaf on one channel but works fine with a strong LNB input so isn't a problem.

Other suggestions etc welcome.

Gareth

G4GUO

Re: SERIT NIM checking suggestion

Post by G4GUO » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:00 pm

When I was shipping MiniTiouner Express units, I had to repair quite a few NIMS. Most faults were due to dry joints inside the NIM.
A quick resolder of the pull-ups normally fixed them.

- Charles

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:20 pm

Now that I have a reason to build another tuner (a Picotuner this time) I'm going to fit sockets for the NIM. Note this will stop you getting the lid on......
This will, however, allow easy testing of suspect modules....so if you have one that's suspect (other than huge RF into the inputs - it wont fix that!) I will be happy to test and report on any units sent to me.
If they work on one or both channels, you can then choose what to do with it. The reason for this optimism is I had one I removed from a Minitiouner V2 that just did not work. But its fine on the Picotuner, so maybe its a fault on the parallel data steram used in a Minitiouner rather than the serial stream used by a Pico.
Message me for details if you'd like one tested etc...even a one working RF input it will give you two channels with Opentuner....what's not to like....
Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

I now have a working Picotuner with sockets for the NIM. It has already proved 2 NIMs that were 'suspect' seem to be 100% functional. One had an issue with the tin lid, the other possibly some solder splashes. Anyway, if you have a suspect NIM sitting gathering dust, I'd be happy to test it and return for onward sale or as a donation to a Repeater project or really whatever your wish. Just postage to cover, or hand back at CAT24 etc....
Gareth

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”