DATV-NotSoEasy V1.0

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8GKQ
Site Admin

DATV-NotSoEasy V1.0

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:36 am

DATV-NotSoEasy is software for PCs running Windows (10/11) or Linux that enables DATV transmission using a Pluto SDR. In addition to H264 and H265 encoding, it includes experimental support for AV1 and VVC (H266) encoding. After a long development it has now reached a mature Version 1.0.

The free software has been written by Michael Welk DL5OCD. It is command line based, but comes with excellent documentation in English and German.

You can find the latest download link on the AMSAT-DL Forum here: https://forum.amsat-dl.org/index.php?us ... 43-dl5ocd/.

Download the file and unzip it to get to the installation instructions.

It would be good to have any comments from users of the software here.

Dave, G8GKQ

Basil

Re: DATV-NotSoEasy V1.0

Post by Basil » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:58 pm

Put simply, it's excellent, and Michael, showing the patience of a Saint, is more than generous with support time if asked nicely :) I haven't ventured into the realms of variable power and FEC, but run in a "conventional" manner the results have been reliable and very very pleasing. Thanks Michael!

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:01 am

'brand new F5OEO FW' is mentioned in the setup details. Which version would that be? Just to make it clear for me....

Martin G8LCE

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:58 pm

You only need to update to the latest F5OEO firmware (thanks Evariste) if you want or need to run the very latest developments in the current software from Michael, or at least that's my understanding. If you do want to try variable FEC and variable power you need to enable their usage in the relevant NotSoEasy .ini file and have this new firmware loaded in your Pluto:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... ZutOJEtm77

If you do NOT want to utilise these then most probably the Pluto firmware you have should be OK otherwise in order to run the basic software in V1 of Michael's offering. (I use 0303).

I have not been brave enough to dabble with variable FEC as yet, but you can still load and use the current NotSoEasy software mentioned above and simply not enable using the more esoteric options :)

A link to the relevant F5OEO firmware would be useful in the instrucions Michael :)

All the best from 2E0ILY

PE5PVB

Post by PE5PVB » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:55 am

For which revision Pluto is this firmware?

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:59 am

As far as I know, and I haven't used it, nor do I profess any great knowledge of it, it will run on all and any Plutos save the Chinese Pluto + devices. As the writer is now back from a visit abroad you might be best asking DL5OCD directly if you don't feel brave and just load it. Michael is extremely approachable and helpful, and speaks better English than I do, I'm embarrased to say :) His e-mail is shown on his QRZ page.

PE5PVB

Post by PE5PVB » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am

What about DATV-Simple, he's talking about in his presentation? Is that already public?

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:35 am

No idea, it looked anything BUT simple last time I looked.... :) I assume you're talking about the version that seems to integrate the Node Red thing?

I tend to work along the KISS principle so my set up has absolutely no monitoring, and I just set up TX in the NotSoEasy .bat file and on the PlutoDVB page. I am sure once Node Red is set up and working it's more elegant but I tend not to disturb stuff that works adequately for me, I have enough hassle with work without adding it to my play time too :)

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: DATV-NotSoEasy V1.2

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:05 pm

Michael has just posted (edited with some corrections):

Hi, DATV-NotSoEasy V1.2 is now available.
Again many improvements.
-Hint: Always quit DATV-NotSoEasy by pressing "q", not only close the window. Otherwhise depending windows will not be closed automatically.
-Hint: When you enable "FW=yes" you must use the brand new F5OEO FW !!! Set "FW=no" with all other FW versions !!!

-Linux version: New parameter LIMSOFT1000, LIMHARD250 and LIMHARD500 under optional settings, here you can decrease the amount of video bitrate for the HW/SW encoders (more headroom if needed under special circumstances)
-Repaced %mosquitto% with %mosquittopub%
-%mosquittosub% implemented
-Symbolic links under \Mosquitto added
-New parameter FETCHTS: If you use the new F5OEO FW, you can set this to "yes". It fetches the TS-Bit rate from the Pluto instead of calculating it
-Better stability for H.266 encoding, parameters added
-Parameters: Changed Keyframe Intervall - only 1 parameter for all encoding types
-Optimization of the code
-New: ffmpeg-out.txt - here you can watch how ffmpeg works :)
-Fixed a problem with the mpegts service id, now program and provider shown right in MiniTioune

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dwJjqG ... sp=sharing

Have fun!

Michael
DL5OCD

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”