VVC/H266 Player for Raspberry Pi?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8GKQ
Site Admin

VVC/H266 Player for Raspberry Pi?

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:03 pm

Hi

I have been looking around to see if there is a VVC/H266 player that I could use to display VVC/H266 video on the Portsdown and Ryde receivers.

So far, the closest that I have got is this set of instructions https://github.com/InterDigitalInc/VTMDecoder_VLCPlugin which suggest that they might compile on ARM platforms, but this sort of compilation is way outside my area of expertise.

Is there anyone that could give me a hand and provide me with a working compilation script for a version of VLC that will replay VVC/H266 on a Raspberry Pi 4?

I could then incorporate it into the Portsdown build, and possibly into Ryde.

Thanks

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Re: VVC/H266 Player for Raspberry Pi?

Post by g0mjw » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:47 pm

I had a look at ffplay but so far have not found anything. I wonder if the PI is up to the task? Good luck.

Incidentally, for encoding I found that the limit of my PC, OK so it's 4 years old now and just a Ryzen 5 with only 6 cores, was around 500kb/s full HD and 15FPS. Any higher and it maxed out the CPU. I would have thought that there would be CUDA implementations that use the GPU but not found any yet. Very much experimental - but that's exactly why we like to do it.

The chances the PI4 can encode H266 seem limited, but you never know. I expect the Jetson Nano might be able to do it though.

I wish I knew how to write OBS plugins as that would be a great solution to have OBS produce the proper TS in a way the built in functionality doesn't.

I also discovered that the new FFMPEG 6 breaks my scripts as the deprecated -rc cbr_hq filter fails. The slow preset is also deprecated but still works. However, just substituting all that with:

-preset p7 -profile:v main -rc cbr -rc-lookahead 5

Seemed to work OK. I have kept the old version for now as it works OK but when we come to use VVC/H.266 I may have to update. FFMPEG6 also needed an updated Nvidia GPU driver.

Mike

G0MXW

Re: VVC/H266 Player for Raspberry Pi?

Post by G0MXW » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:01 am

Dave,

The libvtmdec library that the above plugins are compiled against require SSE4.1 extensions which are only available on Intel platforms not ARM so at the moment above is a bit of a dead end. Compiles and works on X86 Arch but no go for Portsdown

Dave G0MXW

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”