OBS and DATV Easy 2.16

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g0mjw

Re: OBS and DATV Easy 2.16

Post by g0mjw » Sat May 13, 2023 8:59 am

I will go back to what I said several months ago. The Pluto doesn't really do high transport stream rates. Stop trying to use it at 1000ks/s above 1/2 FEC, stick to narrower bandwidths and it will probably work reliably. At higher TS rates it might work and it might not. Of course the Pluto also needs to be set correctly, especially for Evariste's later versions which have additional capabilities that need to be enabled or disables appropriately. If you end up with a slowly filling buffer, at some point, when that buffer over runs, it is going to fail. That's quite hard to tune as it depends on video content and larger buffers add to latency.

You can tune the HVEC encoder to cope with everything, but then the quality with less challenging content will not be as good as it could be. That might be the best setting for a repeater but for nets compromise settings, with the aggressiveness thereof set depending on the content. Talking heads (as in talking to camera, not as in "stop making sense") are easier to encode than panning around the shack.

Mike

g3uis

Post by g3uis » Sat May 13, 2023 9:10 am

Basil wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:32 am
Hi Tony, you can find some information below, I use a legacy version of OBS and it works fine, with both DATV-EASY and the excellent software from Michael DL5OCD, I have found a way to use the latter without any Virtual Audio Cable software, which I hate and always have trouble with. DATV-EASY didn't need any VAC's either. I have trouble getting lip sync correct with DATV-EASY for some reason though, but others seem to have no issues.

https://forum.amsat-dl.org/index.php?th ... atv-howto/

Whilst very far from a power user I have got a reliable set up to use OBS from my PC in the house over a hard wired LAN to my Pluto and PA outside by the dish, so feel free to e-mail me if you think I might be able to help at all, but don't expert me to be any kind of expert!

My e-mail is good on my QRZ page for 2E0ILY

Good luck, and all the best Tony.
Thanks.

G8KOE

Post by G8KOE » Sat May 13, 2023 10:12 am

Hi,
This is what I am using.

G8KOE MY STATION SETUP FOR
VB AUDIO CABLE OBS StreamCoder or DATV-Easy

Install VB-AUDIO Cable ( Its FREE)
VB-Audio Virtual Cables

IF you are using OBS 27 disable Virtual Cable Plugin from starting.

Now go to settings in OBS
Audio
Advanced
Monitoring Device set to “ CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable) click OK to Apply.
Now go to Audio Mixer in OBS and click on the two cogs bottom left.
This will open Mixer settings go to the channel or channels that you want to relay.
Under Audio Monitoring select “Monitor and Output”
Then Close that’s the audio done.
For the Video you will need to start Virtual Camera which is the one built into OBS not the Plugin.
Launch DATV Easy I am using V2.17.
For Free StreamCoder V2.90 (you need the latest program!)
Go to Configuration
Input/ and select “OBS + VB-AudioCABLE”
That’s It you are now set to TEST.
If you forget to select “Start Virtual Camera” in OBS you will transmit a Camera Icon with line across it.
I am using OBS 29.1.1

73's
Martin
G8KOE

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:06 pm

I'm just in the process of building my new shack PC (MSI GF63 gaming laptop with i7 12th generation + RTX4050 graphics) and wonder if there is any more recent guides to getting OBS(!) and DATVeasy running...

Noel

G8KOE

Post by G8KOE » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:57 pm

Hi Noel.

I'm using the latest OBS 30.0.2 just follow my instruction all should work for you.

73's
Martin
G8KOE

g3uis

Post by g3uis » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:33 pm

I never had any success with OBS above v27 , As V27 is still available and the virtual cam plugin, I think you can be sure it just works, no issues for me.

Tony

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Rather than having to start OBS's Virtual Camera manually you can use this launcher target :

"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe" --startvirtualcam

G8DGR

Post by G8DGR » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:09 am

I would like to get in touch with G8KOE.
I have the same query as Noel.
I need to get OBS-studio 30, Pluto and DATV-easy 2.71 working together
So far I have completely failed. Martin seems to be the go to guy.
I see him often on QO-100 . My RX side works well.
Rod G8DGR

G8KOE

Post by G8KOE » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:00 am

Hi Rod,

Email me with information of your setup.

FW you have on your Pluto the settings you have in DATV easy OBS version and what PC you are using etc.

I will try and help you.

73's
Martin
G8KOE

My Email is OK on qrz.com

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:47 am

Only an idiot like myself would struggle getting DATV-Easy working because they didn't read the instructions carefully and failed to load the drivers. Right? Just saying, in case....! By all means laugh, I have broad shoulders :)

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”