Using the Jetson Nano - What do you want?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Using the Jetson Nano - What do you want?

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:41 pm

I have been tidying up the Portsdown code (trying to tackle my to-do list!) and also rebuilding my QO-100 setup which uses a Jetson Nano.

The idea of the Jetson Nano is to use it as an external H265 encoder and LimeSDR driver, controlled by a Portsdown on the same network. Preferably with no windows PCs, keyboards or mice involved - just touchscreen control from a Portsdown. The existing setup is shown below.

I occasionally use an external PC with OBS and an F1EJP H265 encoder script to drive the system, but this is an anomaly and not ideal. It was forced on me by the need to have captions available for the QO-100 Net.

The existing code supports HDMI input through an LKV373A, C920 (Mk 1) and EagleEye WebCams, Audio dongle and test card.

I am prepared to work on supporting other input devices. First on the list will be the Elgato CamLink HDMI dongle, which I have here. For other devices, I would need loan of an example for implementation and initial testing. Ideas might include an ATEM Mini or other USB-output HD devices.

To make it perfectly clear, I am not prepared to broaden the scope of my work on the project; no touchscreen or desktop on the Jetson. No connection of keyboard or mouse during operation. Only LimeSDR Mini SDR, not Pluto.

Within those constraints, I am looking for ideas of what people want and will use.

Over to you!

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
Jetson Config.jpg
Jetson Config.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

M0YDH

Re: Using the Jetson Nano - What do you want?

Post by M0YDH » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Hi Dave
It will be great to incorporate into or revise these for a Portsdown system in the future. I have the Nano, HDMI forwarder and router. I think they were working, are now sitting idle and I lost interest in them. I think when I went off round the Wrekin trying to make H265 for later use in QO-100 that I lost my way. Oh dear.
So a plug and play set up for control from the Portsdown would be very welcome perhaps with a build of software for the Nano that is as easy to use as possible.

Thank for your help in the past with the Nanobox. It may come to be important with 29MHz TV transmit if I read the literature correctly.
cheers

David

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:46 am

Hi,

Why not for pluto

Brian

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi Brian

There is no reason why Pluto should not be used - it just needs someone to write, test and maintain the module on the Jetson that would take a transport stream and send the right commands to the Pluto to transmit it. I have a module that already does this reliably for the LimeSDR.

I cannot use the technique that I use with the Pluto on the Portsdown 4, as that only works for H264, not H265, so there is no easy route.

Looking for volunteers......

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:06 pm

Since this message was posted on the BATC Facebook page, there have been a number of comments which have been forwarded to me. I don't do Facebook, so will reply here.

Adam Swiercz asks about an H265 encoding script for the Jetson Nano. I use GStreamer, not ffmpeg, for H265 encoding on the Jetson Nano. An example of the code can be found here: https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... on.sh#L141. After GStreamer, ffmpeg is used to put the Service Information on the stream and then limedvb sends it to the SDR.

Justin G8YTZ recommends the ATEM Mini. To develop the ATEM Mini capability, I would need the loan of some hardware, as the development process is iterative. So - just waiting on someone to loan me an ATEM Mini.

Justin also asks about the Ubuntu version to be used. I will base the build on the latest "Jetpack" from NVidia and use whatever Linux is bundled with that.

Luigi D'Arcangelo asks about using the ATEM Mini as a USB input to the Portsdown. I had not thought of this, as the encoding quality of the Portsdown is more suited to lower definitions. However, if someone lends me an ATEM Mini, I could see if it could be done.

Great to hear that the Portsdown is being used in Italy.

Looking forward to more comments - preferably here, not on Facebook.

Dave, G8GKQ

IZ7PDX

Re: Usare il Jetson Nano - Cosa vuoi?

Post by IZ7PDX » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Dear Dave, thank you for your efforts … Yes, in Italy we are more and more enthusiastic and the users of Pd4 are growing in number. I did several tests with cheap HDMI Dongles and with ATEM Mini via Usb as shown on Facebook and the results are encouraging! selecting "Comp Video" as source it is possible to acquire video from Hdmi Dongle in 720p with excellent Raspberry H264 encoding, while with the Blackmagic ATEM Mini connected to the Usb2 port, in Horst mode it is recognized but it is not possible to transmit at 720p but only at 1080p and after a few seconds of transmission the encoding stops! I hope you will be able to use an ATEM Mini to optimize video streams. I'll make some videos in English of what I wrote… 73 de Luigi IZ7PDX.

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 pm

Dave has delivered an absolute corker with this initial release. Below is a link to a demo to show the quality of the picture achieved in 1080p, Tx from Jetson/Portsdown and Rx on GB3JV. Download the file and run in VLC full screen on an HD (or better) monitor to appreciate the quality!

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 96&o=OneUp

In testing I discovered a couple of things to be aware of:

1. Make sure the Lime is connected to the Jetson USB interface, not the Portsdown! I made that mistake :oops:

2. I have a good case for my Jetson with a PWM heat-sink fan and an additional case fan, it also has a power down button that closes the machine down, plus a reset button. I've not fitted Wi-Fi to mine, I prefer wired. Keep it cool! 8-)

3. Make sure your Jetson PSU is rated at 4A and is in good condition, my older 4A PSU that I've used before was not up to it. I bought this new one from Amazon which works well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099F196YQ? ... ct_details

4. Make sure your USB lead from ATEM to Jetson is up to spec. This is a good one to choose: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07213D35X? ... ct_details

5. I have achieved good results at 2Ms/s with the ATEM set to 1080p/25 on both the web cam and with a CamLink dongle. I have not tried 50p which is likely "a bridge too far"

Many thanks Dave! :) :) :)

Post moderated to fix links.

VK3IE

Post by VK3IE » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:23 am

Just to Add
Today I followed the Instruction
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Jetson_Nano
Seemed to work ok on setting up Jetson I was challenged with a a few more do questions do you you want etc, but all worked out well.

Updated my PI 2020 to the latest and greatest checked settings all looking good...

My first TX with H265 as I could only monitor locally I needed to update my Hello Box 8 firmware to resolve h265
After that a quick rescan, Bingo we had a PIC.

I could easily see PD-2000 take control of Jetson and Lime,
First with Test card then logitech 920 camera:
1278 at 4k, camera did struggle but test card look sweet as it should.

Only thing so far is the Lime LED appears to be In green flash mode continually not matter if TX is ON or OFF
Normally its Red falsh when Off and Green when TXing something for Dave maybe

Hope we can see some improvement in using Higher Ksb rates
A good project on a cool day in VK3 we had summer last Tuesday
Robert
vk3ie

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:03 am

Hi Robert

Pleased to hear that it worked for you. You will note that the C920 isn't in the list of supported configurations yet - I have been concentrating on the new hardware, but will get to optimising the C920 in due course. Not sure that any higher SRs are going to be achievable though.

I have released a cure for the green LED issue in the Portsdown 4 build; I hope to duplicate that cure in the Portsdown 2020 release this weekend.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:58 pm

Thanks to lots of help from Malcolm G0UHY, Justin G8YTZ and Colin G4KLB, I have now been able to release a new build procedure for the Jetson Nano along with controlling software for both the Portsdown 4 and Portsdown 2020.

This build only supports H265 transmissions from an ATEM Mini Pro, Elgato Camlink 4K HDMI dongle , Polycom Eagle Eye Webcam and Raspberry Pi Cam V2. The Logitech C920 (early version) might work, but I haven't tested it. It only supports the LimeSDR Mini V1 or V2. It does not support the Pluto.

Full details are on this Wiki page: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Jetson_Nano Please read carefully - it is a complex procedure. Also, make sure that you have updated your Portsdown to the latest release.

I do not have the time or motivation to support the Pluto, but if someone else would like to develop a working solution, I would quite happily incorporate it into the main Portsdown build. There must be someone else out there who can write this stuff!

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”