Replacement USB port for Plutos

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Replacement USB port for Plutos

Post by Basil » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:15 am

Just to say I left the ale alone on Wednesday night and on Thursday had a do or die moment when I decided to replace the worn out USB port on my Rev B Pluto. I managed to find the correct ports with the help of a friend at a big parts seller, as there are literally hundreds of different fitment types.

I got the old one off by flooding it with leaded solder, and using both thermal tweezers on my RF powered soldering unit, and a tiny tip on a small conventional Weller iron. The tweezers put heat into the main "prongs" of the port, the Weller freed the tiny connection fingers. You need to be patient and make SURE all the unleaded solder has melted or it will be VERY easy to lift the connector finger pads off the Pluto PCB.

The closeness of D1 and D2 to the port make it tricky for someone like me, without a microscope (and of advancing years). I tried low melt solder, but it looked likely to contaminate other components that I did not want contaminating, like D1 and D2, so abandoned that idea.

But I prevailed and a new port is now in place. I took the oppurtunity to remove my Heath Robinson JTAG connector, the JTAG stuff should have come with a proper terminal connector, but didn't. I made do with 10 cut off leads from 1/8W resistors. Now having bought the proper connector I removed the wires and fitted the correct thing. All seems to work and I had it on air yesterday to test it.

So if you find the USB port is getting intermittent it can be a D-I-Y prospect to repair it.
Attachments
DSC08312.JPG
DSC08312.JPG (169.93 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
DSC08311.JPG
DSC08311.JPG (198.83 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
DSC08310.JPG
DSC08310.JPG (217.84 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
DSC08309.JPG
DSC08309.JPG (264.99 KiB) Viewed 2514 times

g0mjw

Re: Replacement USB port for Plutos

Post by g0mjw » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am

Well done. You might want to try ChipQuick next time to aid desoldering. It is not cheap but it is very effective.

Mike

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:33 pm

Brave!! Having had mobile phone charge ports wear out I fold the USB lead around under the case and secure it with some very tight velcro 'tyraps'. This, and a good stock of decent USB leads (I have been happy with Anker branded sets from Amazon) so I never need to hunt for one, has, so far, meant my two daily use ones have survived.
Just in case, could you link to what you found to be the correct part? Suspect you will not be alone
Thanks

Gareth

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks Mike, I was a bit nervous but I had little to lose, it was becoming unusable. I did try an equivalnet of Quik Chip low melt solder, but it seemed too happy to run all over the show, and threatened to engulf D1 and D2. But I was impressed as to how long it remined viscous, remarkable stuff and for sure useful if I have more clear area around the job or get more experience like your good self with surface mount stuff.

This (bought secondhand) Metcal RF soldering unit is perhaps the best thing I have bought for electronics, the seller badgered me over several rallies to buy one, saying I would never regret it, and he was darned right. Just amazing on surface mount to BIG connector lugs you'd swear it could never heat up, even with a big tip.

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:45 pm

radiogareth wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Brave!! Having had mobile phone charge ports wear out I fold the USB lead around under the case and secure it with some very tight velcro 'tyraps'. This, and a good stock of decent USB leads (I have been happy with Anker branded sets from Amazon) so I never need to hunt for one, has, so far, meant my two daily use ones have survived.
Just in case, could you link to what you found to be the correct part? Suspect you will not be alone
Thanks

Gareth
Hi Gareth, no problem, but it looks like there's bit of bad news on stock.... :( Hopefully some other vendor may have stock but if anyone is genuinely desperate i bought three....I know, big spender :)

https://cpc.farnell.com/molex/47590-000 ... 7-00001003

EDIT: Mouser have over 15,000 in stock so you can afford to ******** a few up :)

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... gLz3vD_BwE

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”