Built a new PC, performance worse than old clunker....

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8KOE

Re: Built a new PC, performance worse than old clunker....

Post by G8KOE » Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks for info on cbr_hq
The latest version of OBS produced errors until I removed th _hq.
OBS 27.1.3 worked with _hq later versions would not work for me.

Martin

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 31, 2022 2:48 pm

Sorry to have not got back to you before, but basically the earlier version of ffmpeg worked fine, and a big improvement on DATV-Easy (on my system, PLEASE do not take this as a sleight on DATV-Easy, it must be night mare developing such apps and I will watch its progress wit interest and real gratitude).

But coincidentally a minor disaster struck. My Pluto locked into full power TX, on a fixed frequency, with a clean looking but huge signal and every time I rebooted it, after about ten seconds, it was off again. It is now appearing semi bricked, although I can load different firmware, and it outputs power on demand from Portsdown 4, but I believe it's off frequency. The AD 1 watt preamp gives little more powr out than the Pluto itself, suggesting it's perhaps being fed the wrong frequency. I have no SA that goes that high, only a frequency counter. but on receive using SDR Console on narrow band SSB, it's off receive frequency. It's GPS locked to a Leo Bodnar. I had similar once before. But the real issue now is I cannot do a dfu fix. This is what the damned thing is returning, despite my (somewhat hit and miss) best efforts:

C:\>dfu-util -l

dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor
Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
Cannot open DFU device 0456:b674
Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor
Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
Cannot open DFU device 0456:b674

C:\>

So, with the Jubilee celebrations and a battered wallet I am likely stuffed for a while, but maybe there's a workaround, it does "sort of" work :)

I am certainly not putting it in the bin yet and any ideas from anyone whose seen this before are very very welcome. I have a feeling someone who actually knows what they are doing could revive this sick object :)

I will not submit, just lick my wounds for a while and spend what litle is left on some beer for the festivities ;)

Thanks for the ffmpeg stuff, it's all very hard to follow none backward compatible developments, I am sure.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 31, 2022 4:25 pm

Are you using Evariste's 0303 software? If so, make sure you configure it correctly. Otherwise it can do strange things. See the Wiki and F5UUI's site. I take it you have an original version and not one of the newer Rev D Plutos. Are you sure it isn't the PA oscillating?

Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 31, 2022 7:38 pm

Funnily enough I was going to ask YOU what firmware you were using as I can imagine such a package could fall apart with just one unsuitable element. When I found out that the last "Perseverance" release also appeared to run fine with my Portsdown 4 I have used that release for some time. Now, whether it's 0303 I am not sure, I'll try and check it Mike.

There seems to be several Analog Device's forums, do you think a question there would bring me useful advice as to how to try and revive it, or is our usage likely to be considered too left field and asking for trouble? :)

Is / was the Lime considered more reliable and robust than the Pluto for our particular needs? I believe I read that they are soon to be back on the shelves again, in a later format, should this Pluto be effectively dead.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 pm

Not sure. I have been using 0303 for a while without issue but I might be the only one using that.

Anyway you can still use the Portadown 4 and Lime, just send the transport stream to that instead of the Pluto. Configure the Portsdown 4 for IPTS in. You could also use Gnuradio and the Lime on a PC but that's harder.

Note that example script was for a specific bit rate, it needs adjusting for other bit rates. Easy when you know how, inscrutable when you don't.

Mike

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”