Windows 11 and DATV / Oscar 100 software?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Windows 11 and DATV / Oscar 100 software?

Post by Basil » Wed May 25, 2022 3:14 pm

I want to build a new, more powerful Windows PC for digital amateur TV usage.

It has to efficiently on the fly encode H264 and H265 from camera or hard drive.

I am looking at an Intel i9- 12900K processor, a Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X motherboard, 32GB DDR5 RAM, a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD, running off a Corsair 750W PSU. I haven't decided on the graphics card but it will support hardware H265. I believe the processor will also support internal GPU to encode H265?

I am now told, as I am about to present my debit card, that this set up really needs Windows 11 to work as efficiently as it can, so my question is, who is using Windows 11 and what is working and what is giving problems please?

Off the top of my head, BATC Minitiouner and software, SDR Console V3 for narrow band SSB, and Pluto version B with updated firmware from F5OEO and F5UI with a USB to LAN converter. Do these all run OK under Windows 11? Glad I asked if there's anything else I needed and they said Windows 11 ;) Apparently Windows 10 won't run the above well.

Thanks.

G3GJA

Re: Windows 11 and DATV / Oscar 100 software?

Post by G3GJA » Wed May 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Windows 11 is fine. The changes from Windows 10 are mainly cosmetic.

Windows 11 runs all ATV software; I don't have a problem with any of it on my Win 11 machine. All versions of Minitioune, FreeStreamCoder, DATV-Easy, OBS work without issue using the on-board Intel graphics.

It would probably work better with an nVidia GTX-1660 or similar but I'll wait until their price comes down. Likely to be soon now that it's not worth mining crypto currencies with them.

It's highly unlikely that you *need* Win 11 to get the best out of the PC, but bear in mind that future enhancements, such as driver improvements, will be written for Win 11 so it's likely that you'll get a longer life from it if you go with the current OS.

Clive G3GJA

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”