H265 encoder box, how to tell if it's a usable firmware version?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g0mjw

Re: H265 encoder box, how to tell if it's a usable firmware version?

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am

radiogareth wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 am
Fairly sure you can get a DVI-out to HDMI lead, Its what I think I have used from my Polycom to PC. Ebay, cheap.....
Gareth
Gareth - that's exactly what I was doing on the net yesterday driving the HDMI capture dongle from the Polycom 2nd monitor output.

Mike

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed May 25, 2022 9:09 am

Display port to HDMI cables/adaptors are also available very cheaply. I used one to feed my encoder box when I was using it.

Colin.

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 am

Thanks, I am home this morning so did some Googling, as I am really, REALLY good at buying computer stuff without fully understanding all the potential compatabilty issues.
I found some Display Port versions will not pass audio. It seems mine will.

From the factory Intel motherboard manual:

1.5.2.4 DisplayPort
DisplayPort is a digital communication interface that utilizes differential signaling to
achieve a high bandwidth bus interface designed to support connections between PCs
and monitors, projectors, and TV displays. DisplayPort is suitable for display
connections between consumer electronics devices such as high definition optical disc
players, set top boxes, and TV displays. DisplayPort output can also be converted to
HDMI using a DisplayPort-HDMI converter. The DisplayPort interface supports the 1.1a
specification.

DisplayPort’s maximum supported display resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz refresh
with a 16:10 aspect ratio (WQXGA).
Table 5. DisplayPort Status Conditions
PCI Express x16 Connector Status DisplayPort Status
No add-in card installed Enabled
PCI Express x16 add-in card installed Enabled (Note)
Note: May require BIOS setup menu changes.
For information about Refer to
DisplayPort technology http://www.displayport.org

1.5.2.5 Integrated Audio Provided by the DisplayPort Interface
The DisplayPort interface from the PCH supports audio. Table 6 shows the specific
audio technologies supported by the PCH.
Table 6. Audio Formats Supported by the DisplayPort Interface
Audio Formats DisplayPort
AC-3 - Dolby* Digital No
Dolby Digital Plus No
DTS-HD* No
LPCM, 192 kHz/24 bit, 8 Channel Yes

So it's probably worth me persevering and getting an adapter.

Longer term desire, that's rapidly shrinking to maybe I should just buy it now, is to build a newer PC. It appears some i9 Intel processors do NOT have integrated graphics. Is the lack of that an issue if I am using a separate video card that can do H256 compression, or should I make sure I get one that will also do in processor video?

How much memory do I need and is the very latest, fastest stuff worthwhile, or is something mainstream OK.

If I do bite the bullet I want a good amount of inbuilt future proofing. The PC will be pretty much initially be dedicated to DATV stuff.

I like, really like, Windows 7. I believe some or all of the newest motherboards and processors won't work, or have poor driver support for Windows 7. Does this mean I MUST MUST MUST use Windows 10 with its seemingly unstoppable updates that fiddle unwantedly with "stuff"? I am always seeing hams cursing about how it's interfered with their audio settings or whatever...

As to just how old this PC I am trying to run the H256 Chinese box on? Well, I'm not sure, but it is a Viglen Genie "medium" form factor box with an Intel DQ77MK motherboard, an Inteel i5-3470 processor, and 4 gig of DDR3 memory. So a bit of a dinosaur.

My best PC that's dedicated to the workshop is also now quite old, a Gigabyte H170-D3HP-cF motherboard with an Intel i7-6700K processor, and 16 gig of DDR4 memory. If I build an newer PC it would have to be substantially better than that so in time it could go into the workshop, where things are not dramatically demanding as it ages.

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 pm

I'd use the i7-6700K machine. That's adequate and given a good graphics card, say GTX-1050 or better, it would be really good. If it hasn't got one do fit an SSD in place of those spinny, noisy, unreliable, slow hard drives!

Alternatively, go new with a tenth or eleventh generation Core i5 (hexacore with 12 threads),16GB RAM, GTX-1660, Asus mainboard, pair of 512GB SSDs with Windows 11.

Clive G3JA

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”