H265 encoder box, how to tell if it's a usable firmware version?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

H265 encoder box, how to tell if it's a usable firmware version?

Post by Basil » Tue May 24, 2022 10:57 am

I have been given a brand new in the box H265 encoder box of similar appearance to the ones people here seem to use (or have had terrible trouble with... hihi).

I think the iPC Manager software can show the firmware version, would anyone here be able to tell me if it should work, or if it's another piece of technological junk I have acquired please? I have not yet been brave enough to tell `er indoors I am thinking of buying a new PC, so this box just might get me by to encode in H265 in the interim... Thanks.

g0mjw

Re: H265 encoder box, how to tell if it's a usable firmware version?

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 24, 2022 1:21 pm

I doubt it, at least not unless you tell us what firmware it has. There are at least two types of these. Have you tested it with VLC yet?

Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 24, 2022 1:43 pm

No, I just powered it up and loaded the IPC software. I'll power it up again later and grab the firmware version number. Anything else useful to ID it? Not sure how to test it with VLC. It was only last night I finally got the Minitiouner software to output a stream using UDP. For weeks I'd been putting a : after the @ I was actually so pleased I forgot to kick myself.

I sometimes wonder if I am safe outside these days :) Thanks Mike, feel free to say when you're sick of me!

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 24, 2022 7:29 pm

OK it's powered up and just the LAN cable connected. IPC Manager software gives the following:
Name: HDMI-ENCODE
Serial No: HDMI16E202110126003
Firmware Version: V2.47.210429
Hardware: H1700

Assuming it's not by the above, already a dead duck, how might I use VLC to progress to check further please? I have a SONY camcorder with clean HDMI out.

Thanks.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Use the built in web interface to set up a UDP stream to your PC, then capture it with VLC. You could look at the Wiki on how to stream to the BATC streamer and

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Configuring_your_channel

To see the output of the encoder box locally using VLC enter this url rtsp://192.168.1.120:554/live/0 into VLC. This assumes your encoder box IP address is 192.168.1.120
Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Tue May 24, 2022 10:56 pm

OK, I believe I have this working! My Sony camcorder - direct hdmi out - H265 encoder box - LAN to hard wired network

I open VLC on my Win 7 PC, and open a transport stream using your instructions, but entering the fixed IP address of the Chinese box. I see what the camera sees, can change resolution in the box's menu, and change from H264 to H265. Audio from the camera's microphone is also streamed to VLC and can be heard on the PC's speakers.

So I have demonstrated to myself that the camera's hdmi out can be seen by the magic box, how then, looking ahead, how might I feed a video or photos already existent on the PC to it and have it encode those MP4 videos as H265 please? I'm afraid I don't understand how I'd get existing .MP4 files into the H265 encoder box? I am envisaging everything going INTO it has to go in via the hdmi cable, and the LAN socket is stuff outbound.Possibly I'm understanding this very incorrectly?

I guess there''s a way to go yet with this! I managed tonight to put the Portsdown 4 I have been using so far aside, and in the Evariste 0303 firmware version contrioller software, (which has worked fine with the PD4), vary power output and make my Pluto on the LAN TX, but there was no video on the TX stream, although it was clearly seen tX'ing on the Goonhilly monitor.

I guess I need to fix that next, assuming this box has passed the main test? I am unsure if in the Evariste DATV Operating Mode check box stuff I should be setting it for RTMP or UDP, and what else needs setting for "stuff" playing in OBS to be streamed through it to the Pluto on my LAN? Before the wonderful Portsdown 4 held my hand here!

Thanks Mike, have I finally got some Chinese gizmo that might actually do what I hoped it would? ;) The chap I got it from took one look at the complexity of the menus and chickened out of persevering with it.

Good grief, nearly midnight, you can get absorbed in this stuff, thanks again!

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 25, 2022 7:27 am

Looks like it is working. The only way to get things into it is via HDMI, so set it up as a second monitor to your PC using a spare HDMI output and anything displayed on the screen should be encoded. Similarly any audio directed at that screen. You can control it from the 0303 Pluto firmware or via the web interface. The pluto control is probably your best starting point.

Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed May 25, 2022 8:02 am

Remarkably excellent support for which I am very grateful Mike! I see how this would work now, simple once you know how :)

My issue may be that I don't think this elderly PC has an HDMI out port. Would some form of converter from another type of video out port work? It will be galling if after all your help I still end up needing a newer PC, but at least I am being taught a great deal along the way. Thanks again Mike.

EDIT: One DVI-d port, a DVI-i (in use to my monitor via a VGA adaptor, my monitor is old, too...) and one Display Port available, no hdmi. My debit card is trembling and suspecting it may need to be taken to some computer emporium for a day out and a good bashing :( But maybe some adapter gizmo would let me get the final stage of the box set up working.
Last edited by Basil on Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 am

Fairly sure you can get a DVI-out to HDMI lead, Its what I think I have used from my Polycom to PC. Ebay, cheap.....
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 25, 2022 8:45 am

It must be an incredibly old PC then but it has displayport so not too ancient one would hope. If it has a DVI port it is essentially the same thing as HDMI with the right cable, assuming it is not analogue only, but that's the one you are using for VGA. Hang on, VGA? How old is this PC?

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”