Strange Pluto fault

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Strange Pluto fault

Post by radiogareth » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am

I was doing some testing today to see what power I was getting on 13cms last Sunday, but I wasn't getting any RF. The Pluto was also disconnecting itself from my PD4, needing repeated re-starts.
Strange, I thought, so I put it on my PC and loaded Satsagen up, (very reliable software). On running the calibration routine I got really strange waveforms coming out/in - see attached. So I tried re-flashing it with the recommended 'for the brave' firmware (what was already in it). That went OK and it rebooted fine, but still with the problem.
I can but assume something dire has happened to its internals. A shame as so far my 3 have all been very well behaved (other than the USB/ground/earth loop sensitivity).
Has anyone experienced this behaviour/failure and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
New ones are £200 (ouch) from Mouser etc, and are at least available.
Thanks
Gareth
Upset Pluto.PNG
Upset Pluto.PNG (94.03 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

radiogareth

Re: Strange Pluto fault

Post by radiogareth » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:13 am

Resolved thanks to Noel G8GTZ who suggested I try a 'Full Monty' DFU re-set. And it works again, a great relief as they are now £220 to buy.
I followed the Wiki here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Adalm_Pluto#DATV_firmware and other than the first download taking a lot longer than 30 seconds (there is a % progress shown throughout which builds confidence that things are going correctly) it was easy. In fact a lot easier than finding how to get the command lone to change to where the file actually was. I used info here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/command ... -heading-2
Then running Satsagen very simply sorts out the other stuff.
Don't forget to re-flash with the 'for the brave' SW if you are using it with a Portsdown....
Hope it helps someone else.
Gareth

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:48 pm

This is always a good place to try when your pluto does not seem to work as it should. I have done this several times. I have just done it again as the RF from a 437MHz linear at 50+watts got into the pluto driving it. The pluto is remote and driven via my local LAN. It suddenly started strange behaviour and dropping out after 30 seconds. This cured it.
We are trying to get 437MHz to work at GB3NQ at 35km away and pushing the system at my end. RF levels are high and the equipment is all together in a metal box being fed with a long mains and LAN cable.
All pluto owners should be aware of this cure.

Martin G8LCE

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:06 am

radiogareth wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:13 am
Resolved thanks to Noel G8GTZ who suggested I try a 'Full Monty' DFU re-set. And it works again, a great relief as they are now £220 to buy.
I followed the Wiki here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Adalm_Pluto#DATV_firmware and other than the first download taking a lot longer than 30 seconds (there is a % progress shown throughout which builds confidence that things are going correctly) it was easy. In fact a lot easier than finding how to get the command lone to change to where the file actually was. I used info here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/command ... -heading-2
Then running Satsagen very simply sorts out the other stuff.
Don't forget to re-flash with the 'for the brave' SW if you are using it with a Portsdown....
Hope it helps someone else.
Gareth
Hi Gareth. It could be extremely helpful to beginners, such as myself, if you, or Noel, shared this "Full Monty" DFU method here on the forum. My Pluto Revision D isn't bricked, at least not yet, but I have messed up with various patches - due entirely to inadequate documentation. I need to get back to a clean factory default and try again.
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:29 am

If you TOTALLY bugger it up, firmware wise, you can use JTAG to get back to a clean factory default setup. It's far from trivial with gotchas, but if I can manage most anyone can. You need to buy some bespoke "stuff" though, but at least it's half the price of a new one and you can reflash it again if something bad occurs once more in the future.

Bad waveforms were the precursor to finding the USB port was worn badly on one of mine. I found and bought some of the correct port replacements, (there are hundreds of different ones) but have chickened out of changing it for now.... ;)

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:40 am

I'll keep JTAG in mind as a last resort, because I've now discovered Noel's original post...
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=7473&p=28042&hilit=dfu#p28042
...on how to DFU and also on how to press the reset button.

I do find this forum software to be terribly outdated when compared with other forums.
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 am

These might be a useful resources Michael:

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tool ... vs/booting

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tool ... ustomizing

And if you get it programmed up, assuming it's a Rev C / D and using an external 40MHz reference, SSH'ing into it should return these values for these commands:

# fw_printenv refclk_source
refclk_source=external
# fw_printenv ad936x_ext_refclk
ad936x_ext_refclk=40000000
# fw_printenv ad936x_ext_refclk_override
ad936x_ext_refclk_override=40000000
# fw_printenv attr_name
attr_name=compatible
# fw_printenv attr_val
attr_val=ad9364
# fw_printenv mode
mode=1r1t