Should an HDMI video encoder box show on the network?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Should an HDMI video encoder box show on the network?

Post by Basil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Does anyone know whether just connecting an HDMI video encoder box to the network, with no camera attached, it should show on the newtwork as a device? Mine is on a wired network but does not show up when scanning the network or on the router software under NETWORK. Just power and ethernet cable attached, no camera. Thanks.

g0mjw

Re: Should an HDMI video encoder box show on the network?

Post by g0mjw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:47 pm

It will default to 192.168.1.120, or at least it should. Perhaps your network is not allowing it to connect?

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks Mike, I have managed to change it to a hopefully fixed IP address and it shows on the network now, but none of the tick boxes in the IPCManager software will take a set, (for example make it get it's time from the PC).

Nor can I access the box using its IP address using Firefox. I admit IP stuff is not something I am very good at to put it mildly... OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks.

g7kpm

Post by g7kpm » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi,

Did you get this working OK?

If not, is your encoder definitely on the same subnet as your PC?
If your encoder is 192.168.1.120 then your PC should have an IP address of 192.168.1.x (A free address between 1 to 254 but not 120)
Your subnet mask should be the same on both devices, ie 255.255.255.0 which will give you 254 hosts on x also known as /24
It may be possible that your encoder has been set with an IP owned by another network device which can cause issues.

Can you ping the encoder from a Windows command prompt box?

Type ' Ping 192.168.1.120 ' (the IP address of your encoder)

If you get a reply, disconnect your encoder from the network and ping again. You should get a timeout response. If you still get a reply, you have a another device with the same IP address as your encoder on your network.

A handy easy to use Windows tool to scan your network for devices is 'Angry IP scanner' It will show you which IP adresses are free and which are occupied within the subnet range.

https://angryip.org/

If your Encoder has a web interface, then port 80 is usually used as default which the Angry IP scanner will scan and detect as a web page enabled device.

Let me know how you get on.

73s Jason G7KPM

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”