Video camera advice and recommendations please

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Video camera advice and recommendations please

Post by Basil » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 pm

I have been thinking of buying a (probably secondhand) video camera for a while, to take to motorsport events, record engine tests and of course, to record footage to bore people senseless with on Oscar 100! Previously I have used GoPro for in car stuff, but it bit the dust a while back.I would like something handheld, in car is not required for the new device.

I know NOTHING about such things, but do know I have always favoured Sony electronics. What camera might be a good all rounder, fairly simple to use and that records in a format that is straightforward to process for transmission via, initially, my Portsdown and Pluto please. Later I will probably want to try H265 when I get a dedicated PC for DATV. I suppose my budget is up to about £350 if that's realistic? Thanks.

g7ocd

Re: Video camera advice and recommendations please

Post by g7ocd » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Canon HF G series are fairly decent. You can get a HF G10 or HF G25 on eBay for reasonable money if you wait for the right price (not in a rush).

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply, I have been offered a Sony AXR700 for well below normal eBay prices and it would also make a very capable general purpose camera for work, so I am pondering spending a bit more on that. I take it any video camera with a clean hdmi output socket will work into a Portsdown 4 for real time transmissions? Thanks again.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 am

The Portsdown does not have a native HDMI input. It is surprisingly difficult to encode H264 from and HDMI source using the Raspberry Pi.

The only solution available only works with the Pluto and uses an LKV373A HDMI to network device.

Dave, G8GKQ

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 am

AHH, OK, I did have an inkling it might not be as straightforward as I had hoped. May I trouble you for more info on this device and maybe even a link to a known compatible one please Dave? Thanks a lot.

Edit: Without a Portsdown how would one get the hdmi out into a Pluto on a LAN, in a box below the dish please?

Googling the device you mentioned Dave throws up an HDMI cable extender box, which I don't believe is what you are referring to? I think what I might need is a more basic version of the costly Pearl Uno device? I recall talk somewhere of firmware versions and other gotchas, if they are the hdmi to LAN boxes I suspect they are, it sounds daunting...Like getting the correct Easy cap!

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 am

You'll need:

1. An H264 HDMI encoder (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353731466884)
2. Pluto
3. A USB to Ethernet adapter.
4. USB A to USB mini adapter

Set up:

1. Change the firmware on the Pluto to the F5OEO version as detailed here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4_Pluto in the Wiki.
2. View the web page built on the Pluto. It comes with instructions on how to see the web page when the Pluto is connected via USB to your PC.
3. The ADALM Pluto learning resource centre on the Internet will help you with modifying the boot config file where you should set the IP address of the Ethernet adapter.
4. Power the Pluto via the dedicated mini USB power socket. Fit the USB A to mini USB adapter into the OTG mini USB socket on the Pluto and put the Ethernet adapter into the USB adapter.
5. Run an Ethernet cable from a network switch, that the encoder is connected to as well, to the Ethernet port on the USB to Ethernet adapter that's plugged into the Pluto. That can be up to 100m long.
6. Set up the encoder to output RTMP; the target address should be the IP address you set in the Pluto's boot config file and the port number must match that in the Pluto web page. If you have the IP configuration correct you should be able to see the Pluto's web page by browsing to the same address on your PC if that is also connected to the switch.
7. Feed the HDMI port on the encoder with video and the Pluto should transmit.

Clive G3GJA

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 pm

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply. I can already (and occasionally do, time permitting) TX into and receive both the narrow and wide band transponders. For DATV I have only so far used MP4 files and still images on the PC fed into the Portsdown 4 But you have covered what I was struggling with marvellously! I have just ordered that box and as they claim they're stocked here in the UK it should arrive on Monday. I also have, but have not used, a small 4 port ethernet switch. It was for remote control of amp power and PTT over ethernet, so I'll get that in the box and check the code and micro PC I have operates my relay board as expected over the LAN. I may well be back though, sorry, as I am still struggling with whether the now hard to source new graphic cards with H265 GPU encoding are a better buy than an external encoder box. I am really due a new PC so want to ensure the whole caboodle is optimised for DATV as well as my normal stuff. I tend to buy infrequently but try to get something with a current high spec, I don't tend to keep updating stuff every couple of months like the game playing youngsters ;)

As I mentioned TX'ing still images, I may as well ask now. I have OBS run them as a slide show, pausing each image for about 10 or so seconds. As each image appears on my MiniTiouner off the same dish I TX from, it is grainy for about three seconds then "re-writes" as a clear image. Why is this and can it be fixed please?

Clive, thanks again, really helpful stuff, all the very best! Chris, 2E0ILY

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 am

Do I need to try and change the firmware in this box when it arrives, in the manner described in an issue of the magazine? Or is that just when using a Lime Mini...? Thanks.

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:07 am

You can use the Pluto unmodified with the DATV-Express software for Windows. See https://www.datv-express.com/

Everything else needs the firmware in the Pluto changed to the version here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Custom_DATV_Fi ... _the_Pluto so that it will accept RTMP data.

Clive

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:19 am

No, no, my bad, apologies. My Pluto is here and has been working over the LAN on both the wide and narrow band transponders, SSB and DATV pictures and video both ways. Working fine so far.

What I meant was do I need to fiddle with the firmware in the hdmi to LAN box when it comes? My Pluto is already upgraded to the necessary custom firmware and locked to my GPS alongside the LNB. Sorry Clive I wasn't at all clear.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”