Which is better for encoding, card or box?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Which is better for encoding, card or box?

Post by Basil » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:28 am

Probably another of my naieve questions, but looking to get a better encoding on the fly setup, with a new desktop PC. I would like the option of H265 encoding. Should I look to a good video card in the PC, or one of those external boxes? The boxes seem a bit of a minefield, if a box is better is there a known source for one that works?

I really want to stay with Windows 7 64 bit Pro, very very reluctantly would I run Windows 10 and Linux is a definite no as this new PC needs to run a lot of stuff unavailable for Linux as well as my DATV apps.

Thanks for any help.

G3GJA

Re: Which is better for encoding, card or box?

Post by G3GJA » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:46 am

My experience, having just bought a new computer for the same job, is that a fancy graphics card is not necessary provided that you get a recent Intel CPU with a bit of grunt. I chose an Intel Core i5 10500 (10th gen)

The Intel option in the F1EJP encoding software pushes the 3D part of the GPU's performance to around 70% when using H265 on 1920 x 1080 25 frames video. The output is set to produce around 2.6Mbps which is fed to the IPTS in on the Portsdown. It barely breaks a sweat on lower symbol rates such as 333kS/s

There's nothing to be scared of in Windows 10 but plenty of concerns around the security of Windows 7, unless you never allow it to connect to the Internet.

Clive

Basil

Re: Which is better for encoding, card or box?

Post by Basil » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for the most helpful reply Clive, I may be able to borrow a PC similar to the spec you mention, maybe a tad better, and if it works OK I can try and duplicate it.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”