OBS Eating my lunch

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
mccla5214

OBS Eating my lunch

Post by mccla5214 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:54 am

I've tried for two days to get Obs to send a stream to VLC and am having zero luck.
Followed the steps on the wiki to the letter but no luck.
The only thing I have not found is in OBS is what to set the stream out address to, if I leave it blank it complains, if I put in the udp://230.0.0.11:20000 address in the instructions to have VLC listen on nothing else happens. If I put in 127.0.0.1 OBS just connects and disconnects.

I tried VMix but it will not run on this laptop, says my video graphics card is not compatible with DirectX 9 (VLC says I'm running V11).

I'm out of ideas and could really use some help.

Mike

mccla5214

Re: OBS Eating my lunch

Post by mccla5214 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 am

I have now completely uninstalled OBS and put it in from scratch. Set it up exactly like this web page shows to check and see if it would work locally.

https://blogs.siliconorchid.com/post/co ... privately/

No luck. I'm beginning to believe it's the computer. I may resolve that tomorrow with a trip to the computer store.

Mike/KA5TDA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:01 am

Mike

Most of us use OBS with the Virtual Camera plugin and then one of the F1EJP scripts for encoding. That is a lot more reliable that using OBS directly.

OBS changes regularly and on-line guides tend to become outdated very quickly.

I have moved this thread as it does not seem to directly relate to Portsdown.

Dave

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Just for information and slightly off topic, what I do now is use OBS to output a high data rate transport stream over UDP/Ethernet which is sent to a remote Nano, then on the Nano I use a HW accelerated version of FFMPEG that transcodes down to the low rate Transport stream required for NB DATV. This is then sent to a bespoke DVB-s/S2 or DVB-T transmission stack that drives the SDR (Lime. Pluto or DATV-Express).

- Charles

mccla5214

Post by mccla5214 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:31 pm

Thanks Charles,

My problem is I cannot even get past the test setup to make sure OBS is outputting to VLC as was in the setup on the forum.
Fought it all night and finally gave up. Going to try a different computer. It may be an issue with this laptop graphics or something.

Mike

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:42 am

I get a transport stream out of OBS by using the recording setup.
To start the stream I click on begin recording on the main panel.

You could try sending it to the loopback address 127.0.0.1 then in VLC listening to that.

- Charles
CaptureOBS.JPG
CaptureOBS.JPG (72.49 KiB) Viewed 4129 times

mccla5214

Post by mccla5214 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Charles,

Thanks for responding. I duplicated your screen shot and tried both the local IP and the loopback addresses for the stream URL and VLC is still not showing any activity, not even received packets under statistics. I have a new computer coming this week and am going to try again on a fresh machine hopefully with a different NVidia graphics card. I'm still not sure if it's a hardware or software conflict going on here. Every example of using OBC with VLC does not work. And examples of using HDMI Ethernet Streamers with VLC are not working either.

It's gone into the twilight zone here.

Mike/KA5TDA

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 am

That is all very strange Mike, it should work.

You must click on the "start recording" button using my setup, not the "start streaming" one (I initially made that mistake).

Have you tried using Wireshark to monitor the activity? (I know, yet more software to become familiar with).

- Charles

mccla5214

Post by mccla5214 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi Charles,

Used wireshark and that's the crazy part, lots of traffic going out to the Portsdown 4 but no action on that end. I finally got VLC to display the stream at port udp://@:10000 after I read a post somewhere else on the internet about people having issues with VLC and having to stop/pause it then start play again and it would work. So I'm 99% sure that it is leaving OBS but for some reason not coming in on Portsdown 4. I know that PD4 is on the network because I can stream from it to my laptop and pick it up on VLC (after the stop/pause/play) but IPTS monitor is blank and nothing is going out on the Pluto on 1296 Mhz (test card does go out on the air).

Mike

mccla5214

Post by mccla5214 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:43 pm

Free Stream Coder fixed the issue for me. Now PD4 is merrily spitting out video on 23cm.
Thanks all for the assistance.

Mike/KA5TDA

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”