DATV express Nvidia codecs

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
SkyVision

DATV express Nvidia codecs

Post by SkyVision » Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi Charles

In your datvexpress125lp18.zip there is a check box for Nvidia codecs
The first PC I tried with a Nvidia card, DATV express 18 works well, extremely well, thankyou
With a another I7 PC with AMD graphics DATV express doesn't work at all, the modulation stops and starts
Although the second PC has H264 and H265 encoders and decoders

As far as I can tell there is no way to load Nvidia Drivers on the second PC without the hardware
Is having a Nvidia card a minimum requirement for the latest DATV express 18 to work?
Or am I doing something wrong, is there a workaround using a Nvidia Emulator maybe?
Anyway, am having fun and love the Knucker

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

G4GUO

Re: DATV express Nvidia codecs

Post by G4GUO » Mon May 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Hello Roger,

It should work with non NVIDIA based systems if you untick the NVIDIA codec box.
You may have to fiddle with the twiddle factor though as all codecs are different.
The NVIDIA H.264 codec produces a better CBR (Constant Bit Rate) than the
software only codecs which maybe is why you are getting the jittering or dropouts.

Glad you are enjoying the Knucker, you need to thank Art WA8RMC as well though
as it was him that rang around all the various chip manufacturers to find one that
would talk to us and spill the secret sauce.

- Charles

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”