Rx sensitivity measurements for DVB-S2 and DVB-T

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

Rx sensitivity measurements for DVB-S2 and DVB-T

Post by G4WIM » Wed May 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Following my attempts to work Rob M0DTS I thought I'd make some rx system measurements for DVB_S2 and DVB-T on 437 and 1315MHz,

I was using 250kS and FEC 1/2 for both DVB-T and DVB-S2 with a LIme as the source at a level of -31dBm output followed by precision switched attenuators giving me confidence in levels down to at least -127dBm. Running the Lime ast a low level helps signal leakage issues.

Both my 437 and 1315Mhz have high performance helical or interdigital filters directly on the antenna inputs - adding about 0.3dB extra loss.

The 23cm Rx uses a gasfet LNA whereas the 437MHz rx uses a PGA103. The gasfet measures a NF of just under 1dB whereas the PGA103 measures just over 1.1dB.

Taking into account the rest of the rx chains both systems have a noise figure close to 2dB - not brilliant but adequate.

I found the got the same results sensistivity wise on both bands - as might be expected as the noise figures are similar

On both bands I could reliably decode both DVB-S2 and DVB-T down to -117dBm.

DVB-S2 took about about 0.5dB more to intially capture whereas DVB-T took 2dB more (and about 30 seconds) - but once locked both rx's would work down to -117dBm and hold the signals without dropping.

Looking at the signals on SDR Sharp at -117dBm they were about 6dB above noise floor.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried measuring their rx thresholds and how they compare to mine ?

Using Knucker for DBT-T and Winterhill for DVB-S2

FYI I suspect the reason I couldn't rx Rob M0DTS was due to a very strong signal out of band on 443MHz blocking my 437MHz rx - the antenna filter has significantly reduced this blocker hopefully down to a level where it's no longer a problem, in band blockers are something else !!

73 Tim

radiogareth

Re: Rx sensitivity measurements for DVB-S2 and DVB-T

Post by radiogareth » Thu May 20, 2021 6:53 am

Interesting stuff Tim. Whilst I definitely don't have pro-level gear I have been testing across the shack on 5.66GHz. All a bit of a lash-up at the moment but it works. I found similar results from looking at 'what managed a decode' with a SDR and came up with similar - about +4-6dB above the noise floor would work fine. Having a SDR on-board certainly helps as it takes out the guesswork.
I think I need more gain for the Minitiouner (+11dB Amsat filtered preamp on 2m) whereas the Knucker has better 'ears' (?eyes??) anyway.
Gareth

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”