/Mobile testing with DVB-T - 70cms

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

/Mobile testing with DVB-T - 70cms

Post by radiogareth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 pm

In eager anticipation of trying out the multi-path-'proofness' of DVB-T I took my gear /M today. Transmitting a 'Test signal' from my home station, I drove around locally looking at the received signals. It would be great if the bouncing bubbles 'CQ' could be available again in PD4- much easier to know if its live video or not. I got reasonable coverage, home station running about 1 watt to my triband colinear and a 70cms mag-mount co-linear on the car roof, Knucker and PD4 on the seat next to me. Having tried RX, this afternoon I headed over to Martin G4FKK. En-route I stopped off at my local highspot (Shirley Hills, Croydon) and by a fortuitous combination of finger trouble got into GB3HV on less than 1 watt of DVB-S. Despite it being a high spot, no phone coverage at all? Onward to Martins QTH at which point I realised that I had been transmitting DVB-S for the last three miles anyway. Having established lock outside his house on DVB-T, I proceeded to drive around the locality. We found that lock was lost if I was moving, but quickly established once stationary, even with 20dB+ S/N. I tried running 1/8 guard band, no noticeable difference - lock still lost when moving. Travelling back home, we maintained a video link every time I stopped and parked, out to about 2 miles (built up area). Spurred on by getting into HV, I parked in a slightly different car park on Shirley hills and found I had good strong 4G. I transmitted again to HV using DVB-S and checked the stream output via my phone. Great, I was getting in. Then I remembered I still had the aerial down (car park barrier). Put it back up and still getting into HV. My power supply was 3-cell Lithium ion packs and they were beginning to wilt (10.3V). But colour and sound at 40+miles on less than a watt - very pleased :-) I must take my 3 over 3 bi-quad for 23cm back there and see if I can receive the output. Suspect I'll need a preamp to help the MT, but that's just waiting to be built.
Onward :-)
Gareth G4XAT

g8gtz

Re: /Mobile testing with DVB-T - 70cms

Post by g8gtz » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi Gareth,

Interesting - exactly the same as my mobile results, clearly more investigation needed.

Re HV - you'll have a job receiving it on 23cms as it transmits on 3.4GHz :-0 Well it should do but it's currently on my workbench having a makeover.

BTW - all you will need is a C band LNB in front of MT to receive it.

Noel

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Excellent, I have one here ready.....
Gareth
Last edited by radiogareth on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

G8HKN

Post by G8HKN » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:47 am

AAAAAAAARGH I spent Saturday morning up and down to the loft
adjusting my 2nd C band LNB and got no signal on 3408 from HV.
Now I know why !!
I now have 2 lnb's pointing to JV
Plan B try to send signal on 1248 and view HV streamer
73 Roger.
Last edited by G8HKN on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:26 pm

Roger, are/were you getting HV on 3.4 with a BARE LNB IN YOUR LOFT??? I stand little hope here in Hayes, although I can get JV by sticking it out of my shack window.....
Gareth

G8HKN

Post by G8HKN » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi Gareth,
I can't answer about HV because Noel has the PA on his bench at the moment.
If I got a hint of a signal I was thinking of a small dish.
JV is no problem bare LNB in loft receiving for 18 months now.
Tomorrow I hope to send some 1248 to HV if streamer is on but only 8 watts so not very hopefull.
Roger.

G8HKN

Post by G8HKN » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 am

Tried and as suspected no results
I don't know if I have to do anything with DTMF tones though.
73 Roger

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”