MRF300 Amp for 6/4/2m

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

MRF300 Amp for 6/4/2m

Post by radiogareth » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 pm

I've been working on building up amps for these 3 bands using the popular MRF300 RF Mosfet. I found a nice PCB design that uses the PCB tracks as the input and output inductors. The only drawback is it uses 'expensive/hard to get' ATC capacitors to tune the input and output lines (although I don't see why lower spec caps couldn't be used on the input lines).
I bought a pack of 20PCBs from the designer and by various means derived a parts list for the 3 band variants (capacitors in different places/values along the tracks).
I found the required ATC capacitors from a gent in Horsham (UK) for £1.10 each so not too bad.
Just been testing the 50MHz version.
Using the recommended bias didn't produce much RF before the 'shoulders' grew wider, but by tweaking the bias up I can get 30W of clean DVB-T. Slightly less clean at 40 watts so that's about it.
DVBS-2 was more productive - 80 watts clean with -35dB shoulders and 150watts with -25dB shoulders! Harmonic output will need subtracting from these figures.
Now to try the 4m version once its on a heatsink - my current brick amp won't do more than 1 watt of clean DVB-t so I'm hoping for similar results (i.e. 30 not 1!)
If you want a pcb (£5 each delivered UK) and the pictures/circuits/lists I've gathered send me a PM.
Gareth
50MHz_parts_placement.jpg
50MHz_parts_placement.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 971 times

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”