"Set Top Boxes" for DATV

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G3GJA

Re: "Set Top Boxes" for DATV

Post by G3GJA » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:09 pm

The Minitiouner/Ryde supports all valid combinations of DVB-S, DVB-S2, FEC, MPEG2/H262, H264, H265 and symbol rates from 125kS/s to 2000kS/s at frequencies between 144MHz and 2450MHz.

It doesn't, at the moment, support DVB-T.

The Winter Hill integrated receiver PCB is not likely to be in the BATC shop before late Spring/early Summer.

Clive G3GJA

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:35 am

Trident wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Does the MiniTiouner/Ryde support all the current modes in use in the UK/Europe and on QO-100 including the beacon and will it support all reasonably expected future digital modes ?
No. The Minitiouner only does DVB-S/S2, not DVB-T. We are developing another solution for DVB-T, the mode used for terrestrial broadcasts which is designed to cope better with the multipath you get on terrestrial paths. The Ryde does DVB-S/S2 and the moment is DVB-T support is in development (see Knucker below). The vast majority of signals are DVB-S/S2 so for QO-100 and repeaters it's fine.
Trident wrote:

I note there is mention of a new integrated board for the Ryde which I presume puts the tuner, breakout points etc all on one board which will connect directly to the Pi headers, avoiding the need for the USB interface module currently used on the MiniTiouner. Any ideas when that PCB will be ready please because I don't want to buy/build something today that will be "out of date" next week? I know it's a continually moving target, but any heads-up would be good please. I'm not desperate to start the build but will hold off for now if it's not far away.
There is a new board in the works, but it's called the Advanced DATV Receiver, which Brian G4EWJ is developing. It uses PICs and a PI4 to work as a multi-channel DVB-S/S2 receiver - (narrow band only, not broadcast, the PI isn't really fast enough for that). It's in beta testing. There are likely to be various versions based on the same PCB with one or two tuners, which are the same as used in the Minitiouner. It's not quite ready yet. It uses surface mount parts, but very easy ones. If that concept terrifies you (it really really shouldn't) the minitiouner uses through hole parts only.

There is also the Knucker tuner in development. This is specifically for DVB-T and again is in beta testing, with support for the Ryde being written. The hardware works, but it requires a different tuner module. BATC have ordered a large stock but they have to be manufactured, so it's likely to be a month or two. This hardware won't be useful for QO100 but we are expecting it to be really good for terrestrial working at VHF. Coverage 50 MHz to 1 GHz. Like the Minitiouner this is all through hole parts and has been designed to be very easy to build. It used the same FTDI USB module as the Minitiouner.
Trident wrote:
Anything else I should know?

Many thanks,

Frank.
Yes - as you don't give a callsign I assume you are not yet licensed. If you want to take the RAE now is the time to do it as there are local clubs running remote courses at the moment with really good success rates. Then you could join us sending DATV.

Mike

G0CFD

Post by G0CFD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks again to all for the clear and useful information.

From digesting all the responses, the MiniTiouner will be my first venture so I can at least monitor several bands for activity, followed by a RPi to make it a stand-alone Ryde box. If, as and when I find a need for DVB-T capabilities, I'll review what's about at the time.

By coincidence, I was looking last night to see if I could change my forum name as I'm licenced as G0CFD and thought I should change it from Trident. Maybe someone or an Admin could advise or help please?

I'm in south Lincolnshire and have recently returned to the hobby after about 25 years lay-off. I'm active on TV on 24cms and 5GHz FM, but hope to get onto 10GHz sometime and also try DATV and QO-100. Unfortunately I'm not in range of any repeaters so contacts are usually with Pete G8JAN in Downham Market and occasionally Pete G4NJJ in Clenchwarton near Kings Lynn. Alan M0DUQ in Wisbech is trying hard to get back into TV so needs some encouragement and maybe this info will help :lol:

Many thanks,

Frank.
I want to die in my sleep just like my grandad did,
Unlike his passengers who were shouting and screaming 😬

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:10 am

G0CFD wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm

By coincidence, I was looking last night to see if I could change my forum name as I'm licenced as G0CFD and thought I should change it from Trident. Maybe someone or an Admin could advise or help please?

Hi Frank,

That's done.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

m1cdq

Post by m1cdq » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:45 am

G0CFD wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm
Thanks again to all for the clear and useful information.

From digesting all the responses, the MiniTiouner will be my first venture so I can at least monitor several bands for activity, followed by a RPi to make it a stand-alone Ryde box. If, as and when I find a need for DVB-T capabilities, I'll review what's about at the time.

I'm in south Lincolnshire and have recently returned to the hobby after about 25 years lay-off. I'm active on TV on 24cms and 5GHz FM, but hope to get onto 10GHz sometime and also try DATV and QO-100. Unfortunately I'm not in range of any repeaters so contacts are usually with Pete G8JAN in Downham Market and occasionally Pete G4NJJ in Clenchwarton near Kings Lynn. Alan M0DUQ in Wisbech is trying hard to get back into TV so needs some encouragement and maybe this info will help :lol:

Many thanks,

Frank.

Welcome back to radio there are a few of us up in the Grimsby area on ATV probably a little to far but GB3GG is getting some new kit soon.
The minitioune works great either on PC or standalone using a pi and touch screen. Also it is easy to build even a BOM list you can upload to digikey to make ordering the other parts very easy. Ive built 2 of them now.. Im just awaiting the board to be released to build the winterhill project and then poss the knucker one as well.

Roger M1CDQ
IO93WM

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:23 pm

Here in the US, where DVB-T is the predominant DATV system, we are using either HiDes HV110 receivers alongside the matching transmitters or as a cheap STB alternative many are using the GTMEDIA V7PLUS HD FTA DVB-S2/T2 receiver.
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”