Pluto to Minitiouner.

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8DGR

Pluto to Minitiouner.

Post by G8DGR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 am

Does anybody know how to set up OBS + a Pluto on ubuntu to get a picture on a Minitiouner
I have it TXing at 437Mhz and it all locks up just fine. Just no picture.
Input can be Camera or any OBS source I just don't know the correct parameters.
Tnx Rod G8DGR

AdrianH

Re: Pluto to Minitiouner.

Post by AdrianH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 am

Hello Rod, I will try to assist. At least you said ubuntu which is a help to me as that is what I run. So you are basically sending the video stream from a windows PC to your linux PC.
I hope you have things set correctly in Minitiouner in that you are set to broadcast typically say 232.0.0.11 and port say 10000. ( Not quite sure what the default numbers are, as I now use Longmynd). Back to Minitiouner software, that the box is ticked to allow for udp streams on the Minitiouner control section.

So receiving a signal acrross the desk from you pluto lets see if the Linux PC can decode it, : Using a terminal screen try: -

Code: Select all

totem udp://232.0.0.11:10000
and also try vlc if you have it installed with

vlc udp://@232.0.0.11:10000
Vlc should have all it's own codecs on board, totem will need extra codecs done by installing

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
If either of these give you your image then the ubuntu PC is getting the TS stream from Minitiouner.

So to OBS you will need to add a media source into a scene.
add media source and change the parameters similar to what I use here.
Screenshot from 2021-01-11 08-09-02.png
Screenshot from 2021-01-11 08-09-02.png (74.53 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
You will enter your broadcast address of udp://232.0.0.11:10000 and not as above. ensure you select ts as the input format and try the other tick boxes as I have them. when you click OK it should add a windowed area to the preview screen, if you do not see anything then try this. Highlight the media source bar, right-click to bring up the sub menu, go to Transform which will bring it's own menu up and click on fit to screen. Sometimes the window is hidden and this makes it visible in the window.

If it works, congrats, there are also a few other things I have changed within advanced settings: -
Screenshot from 2021-01-11 08-09-38.png
Screenshot from 2021-01-11 08-09-38.png (73.17 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
OBS studio I think is meant for online streaming and will tryo to reconnect to it iif it looses the stream as such it holds the connection open so the extra tick boxes allow this to be turned off, this helps when one is switching from one stream to another with a break in the middle.

I hope this helps, I apologise now if I have gone into mare detail then you require and I am teaching you to suck egg's.

If you can receive the QO-100 I could try to go through it on air for you or i am sure others would also help.

Adrian

G8DGR

Post by G8DGR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:47 am

Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm still trying to take it all in. One point which I am not sure makes a difference. I'm going from OBS and Pluto on the linux system to the Minitiouner on the PC.

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 am

Sorry I think I went completely on the wrong track, you want to TX with OBS to Pluto not receive from it, Duh, but I can suggest reading the article in CQ-TV magazines done by John G8JTT, I will try and find the article, there is also the Documentation pages on the Pluto controller.

Must read and understand the questions better.

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 am

CQ-TV-265 starting page 10 is the article I worked off initially it is an article that is for Portsdown, but was what I used for the basics when driving initially a HackRF and then later a Pluto.

In the end I went for the very easy route on bought a H265 encoder box.

A lot will depend on what graphics card you have in the PC and if it can encode H264 or H265 as some of the NVIDA cards can do.

Adrian

G8DGR

Post by G8DGR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:49 pm

Well its like this

On the Linux box I have OBS streaming to the Pluto (which is the TX) via a USB connection.

The Minitiouner is connected to the PC via a USB cable.

The modulated signal at 437 Mhz goes from the Pluto to the Minitiouner

The signal gets received on the Minitiouner and sent to the PC.

Everything works except there's no picture.

Rod G8DGR

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:32 pm

OK trying to get your set-up in my mind, you have a Ubuntu PC running OBS and you have the Pluto connected to the PC via USB ( therefore it's IP should be 192.168.2.1). You have followed the Pluto documentation of "PC with VMIX or OBS".

In OBS you have a image of what you are trying to send in the 'Program' window either from your camera or
You start streaming, the light goes green and stays on. PTT button in Pluto control goes on air. Minitiouner running on a Windows PC locks on gives all green lights but a black screen.

Just done a simple setup on my PC and here are two pages of settings I have in OBS
stream settings.png
stream settings.png (40.92 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
Output streeming settings.png
Output streeming settings.png (68.9 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
I have the frequency up at 2409.750 but would be otherwise the same for 437 MHz the other main difference is I have my pluto on 192.168.1.32 as it is not connected via usb.

But I just had that working locally across approx 12 ft.
Not sure if that would help.
Adrian

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:41 pm

I forgot to say I am using the latest alpha F5OEO firmware 0201 and desperately trying to remember if I needed any other software such as ffmpeg for this. I have it installed but do not believe I needed it for this only when I was using my old HackRF one.

Adrian

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”