DVB-S questions

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
N7CS

DVB-S questions

Post by N7CS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:35 am

A few questions for the group...

Q1:

I saw a note a month or so ago that mentioned there was a new standard for UK DATV repeaters that would use only 1.2 MHz of bandwidth. I can't seem to find the old note anymore, but I was wanting to know what are the full set of DVB-S (or is it -S2?) parameters to enable it to work at that bandwidth.

I'm currently experimenting with DVB-T in the US at 2 MHz bandwidth, but am looking to find something that requires less bandwidth.

Q2:

When forum posters are talking about DVB-S, I often find references to mega-symbols per second. What's the formula to convert that into bandwidth in MHz?

Q3:

I recall seeing another article talking about some ultra-low bandwidth DVB-S2 experiments done by Dutch amateurs recently on 2m, but I wasn't sure what they got the bandwidth down to. It might have been 0.2 MHz, but I wasn't sure. I wasn't able to find a lot about this in English. If anyone has details on the parameters and bandwidth used for those experiments, that would be helpful too.

Burt Guillot N7CS

radiogareth

Re: DVB-S questions

Post by radiogareth » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:43 am

Some interesting questions Burt. I can't answer any of them but there is a lot of very narrow band stuff (in amazing quality too) being sent on QO-100. How its generated and how its decoded would be a couple of extra questions that would expand on the general knowledge base. There is also a BATC team working on developing NB DVB-T hardware and software at the moment, there is a lot going on.....
Gareth G4XAT

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:45 am

Hi Bert

Q1 - The original article was in CQ-TV 266 and BATC are recommending 1Ms DVB-S2 2/3 FEC with H264 encoding but some groups are now using 500ks DVB-S2 2/3 and H265 encoding and get very good results.

Q1a - BATC have just started a project using a tuner / NIM which enables narrowband DVB-T OFDM down to 200KHz wide - for more details see https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker

Q2 - try this on-line calculator http://www.satbroadcasts.com/DVB-S_Bitr ... lator.html

Q3- We typically use 150 KHz - 500KHz on 146 MHz but there have been some very successful tests using 35 ks (50KHz) DVB-S2 full frame rate H265 on the Oscar 100 satellite with amazing results.

Hope this helps.

Noel - G8GTZ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 pm

N7CS wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:35 am
A few questions for the group...

Q1:

I saw a note a month or so ago that mentioned there was a new standard for UK DATV repeaters that would use only 1.2 MHz of bandwidth. I can't seem to find the old note anymore, but I was wanting to know what are the full set of DVB-S (or is it -S2?) parameters to enable it to work at that bandwidth.

I'm currently experimenting with DVB-T in the US at 2 MHz bandwidth, but am looking to find something that requires less bandwidth.

Q2:

When forum posters are talking about DVB-S, I often find references to mega-symbols per second. What's the formula to convert that into bandwidth in MHz?

Q3:

I recall seeing another article talking about some ultra-low bandwidth DVB-S2 experiments done by Dutch amateurs recently on 2m, but I wasn't sure what they got the bandwidth down to. It might have been 0.2 MHz, but I wasn't sure. I wasn't able to find a lot about this in English. If anyone has details on the parameters and bandwidth used for those experiments, that would be helpful too.

Burt Guillot N7CS
The bandwidth if a function of the symbol rate and filtering used - EN302307. The DVB-S2 standard has three roll-off factors 0.20, 0.25, and 0.35. So, a typical 333ks signal occupies 450kHz with 0.35 roll off and 400kHz with 0.2 roll-off. DVB-S2X also has 0.15 and 0.1 roll-off. There is a calculator here:

http://www.satbroadcasts.com/DVB-S_Bitr ... lator.html

We have been experimenting with 35 ks/s which fits nicely in a 50 kHz channel and latterly with 25ks/s which fits into 30 kHz. The video quality at 35ks still leaves a bit to be desired but in 333ks it's possible to send HD video, so there is no need for 2 MHz wide signals any more. Very good quality is possible with 125ks/s and even 66ks/s.

On the DVB-T side. Recent experiments have worked down to 250kHz bandwidth but it's currently a lot better at 500kHz with performance for QPSK much the same as 333ks DVB-S.

Mike

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”