POTY reflector dimensions

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M5TXJ

POTY reflector dimensions

Post by M5TXJ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am

Hi all,

In the original drawings for POTY the reflector is shown as a circle of 105mm diameter. I see that suppliers such as Passion Radio are selling POTY kits with an almost circular (4 straight edges) reflector. I'm assuming this is because 100x100mm material is easier to source, can anyone confirm these non true circular reflectors are 100mm across the flat edges?

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

radiogareth

Re: POTY reflector dimensions

Post by radiogareth » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 am

By " non true circular" I assume you mean square ;-)
Be interesting to know as its (a) less waste metal in the making and (b) I have some 100mm wide copper sheet from another job and (c) saves me messing about with the 4-Jaw chuck....
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

There was a reason I specified 105mm dia. Mess about with the original design at your own risk.

Mike

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi Mike,

I understand that, I'm just wondering the rationale behind the different reflector.

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:11 pm

I think you are right - 100mm stock was cheaper to get hold of. I don't know what the effect is on the pattern or circularity. Might be OK, might not. It's all about the wavelength.

Mike

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Some LNB arms & LNB clamps are such that the LNB (poty) is very close to the support arm. (the holder doesn't sit very high above the arm) this means the reflector on a Poty fouls against the support arm. Even worse with a circular reflector. You can make it fit BUT it might end up not being quite at optimum focal point.
I found the squared off type allows greater clearance as you can position one of the "flats" towards the arm giving slighly better positioning of the focal point. Other than that, if you have a type that prevents this the only solution is to modify the arm.
Hmmmm, such fun !

A Bacon sandwich can make problems less problamatic.

Ken

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”