Missing audio from OBS / vMix - a fix using ndi

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

Missing audio from OBS / vMix - a fix using ndi

Post by G4WIM » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Recently when using OBS to generate video to feed an H265 encoder box via HDMI directly sometimes the audio would not work no matter what the settings were on any part of the system. Very frustrating.

A similar problem would also happen with basic vMix but not as often.

Both OBS and vMix are designed / optimized for streaming and or recording their content. Audio out via hdmi to a 'projector' is not well supported but does work 'most' of the time.

I've been seeking a solution which works all of the time.

A possible solution.

I find that by installing the OBS ndi plug in and setting up an NDI output it seems to work much better with no lost audio problems - at least so far.

To validate the OBS ndi output I used vMix to monitor it and confirm audio and video is working ok.

Then I used Newtek Studo Monitor to capture the NDI signal from OBS and pass it onto the HDMI output which has the H265 encoder box attached to it.

There is very little extra lag and no perceptable decrease in video qulaity.

Newtek Studio Monitor runs on the same PC as OBS.

I'll see how stable this configuration is and if acceptable add it to the WIKI.

73 Tim

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”