High power attenuator

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Re: High power attenuator

Post by radiogareth » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:47 pm

Using this calculator https://www.pasternack.com/t-calculator-pi-attn.aspx and my stock of resistors, I settled on a 820 ohm unit to give me something close to 30dB and 50R. Re-testing it shows reasonable flatness +/- a dB up to 500 MHz, then it goes all over the place, dropping to -22dB at 1.5GHz but falling (rising??) to -50dB at 5.8GHz....subject to test equipment vagaries and operator error. At worst I have a 'pair' 100 watt dummy loads accessible from each end....
Gareth

radiogareth

Re: High power attenuator

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 am

Developing the theme I saw this idea on a Russian MRF300 amp video (144MHz in this case). I did something similar a while back with a 50R thick film resistor on a PC heatsink, with a BNC mounted directly above the socket and it works well.
HP_Atten.PNG
HP_Atten.PNG (904.62 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
My question is, is the termination method shown better that a short wire to a BNC in and out socket mounted a few cms away?
I'd guess that as short a lead-in as possible is the best and by using some HD solder tags under the attenuator fixing screws, I can get down to negligible lead lengths using coax flying leads with the braid solder-flooded and secured by the solder tags.
Shorter is better.....?
Thanks
Gareth

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”