This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.
In my case, I use a Hides BU-500 up-converter to 2.4 GHz and to be able to send to it the correct frequency (4xx.xxx MHz range) in an easy way, not using a paper conversion table , I have changed the Freq-Channel table in the /www/pluto.php file. Up today, I was reloading manually my version of the pluto.php file using ssh after each boot of the Pluto...
This week-end looking for information on how to best parametrize Pluto with H.265, I found a topic called Pluto with H.265 Encoder viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6618 where Colin G4EML explains a work around to the issue. I have try it and it works.
The work around use the following behavior of the Pluto firmware :
If a flash drive is present, when Pluto boots, it auto mounts on /media/sda1 the flash drive in my case and will auto-run scripts called runmeX.sh in the order of the numbers X.
I connected an OTG USB hub (HAMA Hub USB 2 OTG - USB Hub) to the Pluto USB port to which I have connected my Ethernet adapter and a USB flash drive.
I have copied my modified version of the pluto.php to /media/sda1 and created a runme1.sh script replacing the original pluto.sh in /www by mine from /media/sda1.
A nice and easy way to make changes we like to the firmware filesystem. Merci Colin !
Happy that it worked for you.
My system updates the Pluto.php file in a similar way to you as I also use a BU500. I also update the encoder_control.php file to force sound to be on when using the H265 encoder box.
I have found that not all USB hubs work. I have two that do and one that doesn’t.
Regarding the USB hub, you need one with the OTG (On-The-Go) specification like the one I am using the Hama USB 2.0 OTG Hub . You could try the two hubs not working through a USB OTG cable adapter.
73 de Michel,
The two hubs that work for me are mini hubs connected using an OTG cable. The one that does not work is supposed to be an OTG hub!
1. Updated the preset QO-100 channels to reflect the new bandplan.
2. Added a new option to select H264 or H265 encoding when using the optional H264/H265 Encoder box.
3. Added a new option to enable or disable sound from the H264/H265 Encoder box.
With these changes I can now use the Encoder box for all transmissions, both H265 and H264. Allowing it to be automatically controlled by the Pluto.
Previously the box was only configured automatically for H265 and I had to use RTMP streaming for H264.
At present the Video resolution does not change when switching codecs. However the default resolutions seem to be usable with both.
The automatic configuration is determined by the strategy.sh program which at present does not take into account the codec selected.
I am pretty sure that the resolutions chosen could be improved. I will have a look at this sometime.
The updated files are on my github at https://github.com/g4eml/Pluto_mods
As discussed previously these files need to be copied onto a USB memory stick plugged into the Pluto.
The modified files will then be copied to the Pluto on every reboot.
Nothing on the Pluto is permanently changed.
Rebooting the Pluto without the memory stick will revert to the original files.
I must try this once I find a hub. I want to get the audio rate down from 32kb/s in order to support lower symbol rates, below 66ks, better. 66ks QPSK is 7 dB better that 333ks and with H265 the video is certainly good enough for a contact. 35ks is nearly 10 dB better but only really good for contest exchanges but at the moment, it needs the audio turning off as all the bandwidth ends up being used for audio. This could of course be done on a PC using ffmpeg or by modifying OBS source code.
I am not sure if everyone aware but the Pluto can be made to send a text card on it's own which might be interesting for portable use. It needs to be stored in the file system and in order to be customised, this USB trick may be the solution.
I haven’t experimented with other settings yet. The strategy.sh file takes the calculated available bitrate and through a succession of if statements decides which of several preset settings is needed for video and audio. These are then sent to the encoder box.
It would be easy to add extra modes to this file. It is just a case of working out what settings work OK. I have not tried lower sound rates but I think the box can handle them. As I have now added the option to turn off the sound, which was not there before, it should help with 35ks.
The way the stick is formatted may have something to do with it.
There is probably a way for runme0.sh to work out for itself where it is running from. I am not that good with shell scripts.