Using VLC to watch data from Amsat DVB-S2 GUI

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Using VLC to watch data from Amsat DVB-S2 GUI

Post by radiogareth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 am

As this software seems to run well (at 333ks) on my old I5 laptop and I have a RSP-1 (excellent SDR) I'm wanting to use it for RX this weekend as it does DVB-S2.
Got it receiving a solid data stream across the shack, got VLC running into which I have added stream URL as udp://@:8888. The VLC player-bar is bouncing back and forth but no video showing.
ANyone able to suggest what else I need to do?
Thanks
Gareth

dc1op

Re: Using VLC to watch data from Amsat DVB-S2 GUI

Post by dc1op » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi there,

from your wording i take that you want to stream via WLAN through the shack. If it is so

1. Switch off all Defenders and Firewalls, dont trust the exceptions which you might input before.
Try again, try also udp:// (IP):(port)

2. If no success is observed, the reason for that is probably the WLAN adapter of your PC. -> try an external WLAN/USB stick
or similiar WLAN Client.
That should work if the Client is properly tied in the WLAN.

3. Try a LAN connection. Observe above 1. Set the Ethernet LAN Adapter to the IP no.

Have a sunny weekend, 73, Hub

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks for the pointers Hub. I have my rx on my desktop PC (RSP1 or RTL dongle or Pluto) and I want to use VLC on the same machine to view the received video. That's what the problem is at the moment - I can't see my picture although I know its there (because MT decodes it OK).
Enjoy the break too, stay safe.
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Gareth,

Try using the actual IP address as it looks to me like you are not multicasting over Wifi (which is generally a bad idea anyway). I.e. direct the stream to the machine you want to receive it on and in VLC use the source IP address.

Mike

EDIT

I just saw you are running this on the local host. In that case it should work with udp://@:8888 unless the firewall is blocking it. Perhaps try with minitioune where the stream should be on udp://@:1234 - also do make sure UDP is enabled in the DVB-S2 programme as it won't work if it's not.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:53 am

Thanks Mike, Closer but no cigar yet.... #1 Enabling the GUI TX button would help ;-)
I'm using Norton as my protection and that seems to have taken over (ie not using) the windows firewall.
Turning off all the Norton protection didn't seem to make any difference except I then got error message in VLC saying 'unable to open stream udp://@:8888'
No joy from MT either. Think I'll try with a my tablet next, currently NOT with Norton.....so I have a bit more control perhaps.....
Thanks
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:06 am

If you can't get Minitioune UDP to work either, it's all one one machine and you have correctly set up the ini file then something is blocking UDP.

I don't go anywhere near Norton so I am afraid I can't help there. I don't understand why people use it as it seems to give no end of trouble to anyone doing anything non-standard. If it were my machine I would test by expunging Norton completely and try again with just the standard windows firewall. When you first run the program it might ask about access which is normal.

Mike

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks, its pretty clear that 'something' is getting in the way now.
Setting up for the w/e in the shed now.
Gareth

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”