Jetson Nano display problem

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8PEF

Jetson Nano display problem

Post by G8PEF » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi, folks
Have any of you who have a Jetson Nano had any problems with the HDMI output not driving a TV (as opposed to a ‘proper’ monitor) correctly?

I’ve been trying to use a Panasonic Viera ET5 series TV as a monitor, and (cutting a long story short) the display colours are inverted. Also, the edges of the display are off the side of the screen, so that the Taskbar is about 75% obscured. A tiny sliver of the taskbar icons is visible, so it is possible to click them, but it’s not ideal.

In desperation, I tried a different TV (an LG) and that has no display at all, saying ‘No Signal’ on the screen (although the TV is aware that there’s something on the HDMI input as it ‘brights up’ the HDMI option in the input source selection list).

Any suggestions as to why the colours are inverted? It’s not a problem for most text based stuff, but any pics/videos from web pages are basically unviewable.

John
Last edited by G8PEF on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

M0SKM

Re: Jetson Nano display problem

Post by M0SKM » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello John,

In the shack my Nano drives a Sharp TV through an HDMI switch. It also works well into the Toshiba TV in the lounge. I've not had any issues with picture display.

Appreciate that doesn't help with your issue but I wonder if you have a hardware problem.

Best 73
Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi John

I saw a similar colour inversion effect when I tried to view the Jetson HDMI output using an HDMI to DVI adapter cable.

The overscan problem is common on TVs being used as computer displays. You can sometimes improve the situation by selecting a different display format preference using the TV remote control.

The good news is that once you have initially set up the Jetson, you never need to connect a display to it again, if you are simply using it to transcode video for transmission by a LimeSDR. Everything can be achieved by SSH over the network.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks, both.
I’m really hoping that this isn’t a fault on the nano, and it’s just my TVs acting up.
In regard to the overscan, I’ve tried turning what Panasonic refer to as “16:9 overscan” off, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the display.
Asfar as the colour inversion goes, someone suggested it might be an issue with whether the signals on the HDMI lead are RGB or... something else, YUV? I can’t remember ottomh... but the only thing I can find in this Panasonic’s menus about HDMI is an “Autodetect” on/off setting (no real explanation of what it does) which appears to have no effect, either.
I need to find a proper monitor, and try both the HDMI and DP connections to that to see if it’s the Nano, I guess

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”