Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

Re: Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Post by G4WIM » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi Mike,

changing it from 200000 to 350000 has helped immensely very few pcr dts errors now - out of interest I'll try 1000000 like you have.

Incidentally I've asked in the portsdown forum how to change the variable pcr_pts within Portsdown as the same problem exists when I run directly from Portsdown.

73 Tim

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm

The the price of the units constantly dropping on eBay (a TK1 can be had for as little as $20/£16) will there be further development of the Portsdown OS/application to utilize the Jetson series as an alternative component to the RPi?
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 pm

The Portsdown already offers some support for controlling H264 and H265 encoding and transmission using the Jetson Nano with a LimeSDR Mini https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Jetson_Nano. However, maintaining hardware and software configuration control of the Jetson Nano when used with the Raspberry Pi has proved challenging, so the capability is not in the "fully supported" category.

There is no facility to directly connect a touchscreen to the Jetson Nano, and the GPIO pins are very badly buffered so cannot be used in the same way as those on the RPi. However, as a network-attached device, it is a very capable external encoder to be controlled by the Portsdown.

I hope to update the Jetson Nano installation instructions soon, but will not be supporting any other Jetson devices in the forseeable future.

Dave, G8GKQ

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:53 pm

I have seen several direct connect touch screen options for the nano Dev kit including one from waveshare and another from Nvidia, however, would the non-nano Jetson devices (such as the TK1, TK2, and TX Dev kits) be a better alternative? These do have far better breakout + gpio connections including the ability to have a touch screen.
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

m0vse

Post by m0vse » Sun May 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi

For those of you not following the NVidia forums, I have been working with a couple of other people over the last few days to get Toshiba TC358743 based HDMI->CSI2 boards working on the Jetson Nano. This should include the Auvidia B102 and other unbranded (cheap) capture cards.

I am pleased to announce that Robert, one of the other members there finally managed to successfully capture 720p video today. I have also got it working and although there is a fair way to go to get a complete driver, we seem to have got further than most others that have tried and Robert has published a gist of the changes required to compile the tc358743 driver https://gist.github.com/nyacg/becd94a02 ... 3f38a25b46

From my testing so far, latency is pretty-much zero and CPU usage is quite low as well when capturing 720p. It isn't currently working with 1080p or other lower resolutions but that shouldn't be too difficult to achieve either.

Compiling a new kernel and building the device tree is not for the un-initiated so when we have a complete driver, I will probably produce an SD image with dvbsdr and other required packages pre-installed. It also currently requires a wire connecting between the INT pin and GPIO on the Jetson.

If you want to read the thread where we have been working on it, please look here: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/n ... /122615/73

73 Phil M0VSE

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 am

That is fantastic progress Phil..
I have only got as far as getting the donated units working so far, all arrived DOA and I have the TX1 & TX2 running with TK1s to do.
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”