New desktop PC - but what?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g8gtz

New desktop PC - but what?

Post by g8gtz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am

I know it is slightly off topic but...

I need to buy a new desktop PC for DATV use to handle H265 etc.

I know I need a genuine Intel i7 but which model as there are soooo many variants!

Any thoughts / help / advaice appreciated.

Noel

g0mjw

Re: New desktop PC - but what?

Post by g0mjw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am

Does it have to be a desktop? I can recommend a laptop but if you want a desktop it's likely you are going to have to build it up yourself from parts. Happy to propose those parts if necessary. In a kernel cover these are:

1 - Motherboard - Good quality - e.g. Asus, gigabyte compatible with CPU
2 - CPU - Intel I7 - model depending on pocket depth - one step behind is often the best value
3 - Graphics - Nidia Pascal 1050 or better
4 - Case - whatever
5 - PSU - e.g. Corsair
6 - Memory - 16 Gb should do
7 - SSD 250-500 Gb from reputable maker
8 - Large hard disk.

That's quite a list but fortunately companies like Scan will put one together for you if you don't fancy DIY. E.g. https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-ha ... office/all - note this is not recommended machine, just a link to options! There is a nice i7 there.

Mike

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks for that info Mike - useful guidance. Out of interest, what laptop (or laptop spec, if nothing specific in mind) would you recommend?
John

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Depends on what you want to spend and your view on 4K or full HD screen and how large. Gaming laptops tend to have the specs but only HD screens - that's deliberate as it is all about screen refresh rate. In my view the HD resolution is not sufficient for DATV when you have lots of applications running (Express, VMIX, Minitioune...) fighting for pixels.

I bought a 15" Asus Zenbook when it was on sale - i.e just before the new model came out. I see there is a slightly lower spec model (less memory) ux550gd available. Before that I had a cheap i5 HP Envy ultra portable. However you can do well with a much lower specified model or by waiting for them to go on closeout sales, which seems to happen quite often as the model lifetimes seem to be 6-9 months.

It is worth getting Nvidia graphics if you want to run applications that take advantage of the cuda cores.

Mike

M0RFU

Post by M0RFU » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:02 am

I use Scan to build all out Video Steaming machines at work, they do a cracking job and I wouldnt hesitate to use them for a home build if I wan't a cheapskate.

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm
Depends on what you want to spend and your view on 4K or full HD screen and how large. Gaming laptops tend to have the specs but only HD screens - that's deliberate as it is all about screen refresh rate. In my view the HD resolution is not sufficient for DATV when you have lots of applications running (Express, VMIX, Minitioune...) fighting for pixels.

I bought a 15" Asus Zenbook when it was on sale - i.e just before the new model came out. I see there is a slightly lower spec model (less memory) ux550gd available. Before that I had a cheap i5 HP Envy ultra portable. However you can do well with a much lower specified model or by waiting for them to go on closeout sales, which seems to happen quite often as the model lifetimes seem to be 6-9 months.

It is worth getting Nvidia graphics if you want to run applications that take advantage of the cuda cores.

Mike
Thanks, Mke

G8LES

Post by G8LES » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:38 am

Apparently the architecture of a laptop can be quite variable.

It would be normal to go for a dedicated GPU chip BUT some laptops have them configured to help the CPU on board Intel Graphics others have them separated so the GPU chip does all the work. It is the latter that you need. You also need some screen acre-age to put all the open windows so a 17 inch is required (but puts the price up) or go with a 15 inch and use an external monitor.

There are UHD screens around such as the Novatech N1671 but that takes you over £2k but it does have a 6 core i7 CPU.

The i7's have H265 decoding built in.

An i7 is minimum i9 preferred but up goes the price to over £2k such as the Novatech N1802.

An SSD drive gives those quick boot times.

I was recommended the Novatech Elite N1804 for VMix with a 6GB Nvidia RTX2060 GPU chip and it will do 50Hz out (good for playing Pal 25p/50p videos without interpolation over 60p). It has a 240GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB drive.

The N1805 has a faster CPU and is 17inch and the N1800 has a 6 core CPU.

The only convenience with Novatech is they are in Portsmouth so if you have any problems its not far to take it back for you Noel.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”