D-ATV Express with Lime-SDR USB - problems getting it up and running

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
DD1US

D-ATV Express with Lime-SDR USB - problems getting it up and running

Post by DD1US » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello,

I would like to get started with D-ATV transmissions and tried to use my LimeSDR USB (not the mini) with the DATV-Express software.

When starting the program "datvexpresstransmitter.exe" I get the error message "DATV-Express Hardware not found - Please check cables and restart program". After closeing that window another error message appears: "Configuration error Express Hardware not found -1005"

My LimeSDR is running successful with the Software SDR-Console. Thus the connection to the PC by USB3 should be fine.

I suspect I have a driver issue, as I just rechecked the readme file "NOTES_v1.25LP11.txt". There it is stated:

"IF you are installing software for a LimeSDR board (or mini), then:
Connect the LimeSDR-mini to a USB port (I use USB-3) on Windows PC that is connected to the internet.
Plug-in LimeSDR-mini and wait a few minutes for the LimeSDR to find the drivers and automatically install.
If successful, you should see a device called "FTDI FT601 USB 3.0 Bridge Device" in Windows Device Manager under USB controllers."

On my laptop the LimeSDR is shown in the device manager under USB controllers as "Myriad-RF LimeSDR-USB" and not as "FTDI FT601 USB 3.0 Bridge Device". Maybe this is the reason and I have to install new drivers ?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards

Matthias DD1US

www.dd1us.de

KenW6HHC

Re: D-ATV Express with Lime-SDR USB - problems getting it up and running

Post by KenW6HHC » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi Matthias DD1US,

The first thought that comes to my mind for your problem of "Configuration error Express Hardware not found -1005" is that the TAB on the Express Transmitter software v1.25LP11 does NOT have the MODULATOR-COMMON TAB set to LIME (meaning either LimeSDR-USB or LimeSDR-mini) as shown in the screen-capture below. That is the exactly error message you would generate if the MODULATOR-COMMON TAB settings are still set to DATV-Express board?

Screen Capture of MODULATOR-COMMON tab set up for either LimeSDR-USB (the larger board) or LimeSDR-mini in the v1.25LP11 software.

In addition, Charles G4GUO has mentioned in another posting on LimeSDR issues that "...I suspect it will be down to Lime updating their drivers...I have created a new version of the latest LimeSuite libraries but I need to add some code to check the library and firmware match...."

This high-technology is an adventure...de Ken W6HHC

DD1US

Post by DD1US » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Ken,

thank you very much for your answer. Actually these lines you are showing do not even exist in my version of the software:
HW selection incl. Lime and also not the IP adress definition. In the help window I get only displayed v1.25 thus I do not
know more details about the version. The .exe file is from June 15th 2017.

I just tried another version of the program with the .exe file dated June 20th 2017: here the LimeSDR gets recognized and I can transmit.
However acitivating and deactivating the PTT button does not really have any influence on the output signal, it is always there.
The version number in the help window is also v1.25. Also in this version there is no HW selection and/or IP adress definition at the place
you showed me.

Well, at least I have now a first output signal seen on 1240 MHz ... some progress ...

Best regards

Matthias DD1US

www.dd1us.de

DD1US

Post by DD1US » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi Ken,

I now found the correct version 1.25lp11 and it runs fine here.

Very clean signal / spectrum on 23cm band. Output power is +12dBm, nice.

On 13cm band the signal is there too but with -35dBm quite weak.

Do you observe the same ?

Kind regards

Matthias DD1US

KenW6HHC

Post by KenW6HHC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi Matthius DD1US,

I noticed that you posted on a different thread , Re: Express_DVB_Transmitter software install
that
…the problem on 13cm band…. the TX1L port and should have switched to TX1H…
Does that mean your low power output on 13cm band ( -35dBm) has now been solved? What power do you now measure?

73...de Ken W6HHC

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”