Tablet charging issues

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Tablet charging issues

Post by radiogareth » Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 am

I bought a Linx12x64 tablet to use with my Minitiouner (and for LIME SDR work) as it has a separate USB3 and mini-usb for charging, or so I thought.....

Seems it won't charge while its switched on, which seems pretty dam stupid. Not sure if a windows 10 update around late January caused this, as previously I think I remember it being OK. Its also taken to loosing the Broadcom wifi driver/functionality every time I switch it off. Now that IS a real pain!
Wonder if anyone has solved this or a similar problem, or had better results/flexibility with another £200 tablet. Its still under warranty so it can go back if Linx can't suggest a solution and fgix the issues.

Thanks

Gareth

M0SKM

Re: Tablet charging issues

Post by M0SKM » Thu May 31, 2018 11:19 am

Hi Gareth

My Linx is a bit over a year old; model number 10V64.
It has the small USB for charging and a USB 3 connector. I'm able to charge and use it with no problems.
Occasionally I lose WiFi connection but I can't honestly say what the event is linked to; random is a good description.

Performance wise I'm pleased with it. Using an unpowered hub it easily copes with a USB tuner, a mouse (hate touchpads) and a Logitech C920 camera.

Seems the WiFi thing is a nuisance included in the price. As for the charging I agree you have a problem, you are probably right about Win10 being the culprit.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks Steve, very helpful. Does it charge with ANY USB charger, just wondering in case they have done something 'magic' with their charge lead.
I have one of those USB power monitors and when the tablet is off it shows charging as expected, e.g. 4.95 volts 1.2 amps. When powered up it shows 5.2 volts so initially I assumed the internal 5 volt generator was producing more that was being offered, hence no current is going to flow 'uphill'. So I used a small buck converter to produce 5.5 volts into the miniUSB. Still doesn't charge.
Waiting for a reply from Linx, well I can hope.
Other than the above I too have been happy with it, via a small hub too.

Gareth

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

OK I just fired it up and connected a charger that belongs with my Android tablet. It runs and charges OK.

There was a download update message as soon as I put it on :o

Maybe I'll have the same problem when it finishes; I'll report back later.

Steve

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Thu May 31, 2018 5:38 pm

M0SKM wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm
OK I just fired it up and connected a charger that belongs with my Android tablet. It runs and charges OK.

There was a download update message as soon as I put it on :o

Maybe I'll have the same problem when it finishes; I'll report back later.

Steve
Still no charge issues after updates.
WiFi connection flaky; had to reboot router to get an IP address. No problems with any other network devices; I might try a static IP on the Linx.

Steve

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:22 am

Spoke to helpful Technical helpline quickly connected via AO.com from whom I bought it. Various fixes proposed, including one for the wifi (apparently caused by a windows upgrade - now there's a surprise!).
Nothing helped so went for full factory reset.....clicking though the various boxes until it says...."cannot reset until mains powers is connected"!!

You really couldn't make this stuff up!!

Work in progress still, probably finding the box to send it back :-(

73 all

Gareth

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Gareth

This is interesting, as I have had similar issues with my Linx 7 inch tablet for a few months. It will charge when turned off, but discharges once running, even with the power connected.

Dave, G8GKQ

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:07 am

None of the suggested fixes fixed it, buy AO.com sent me a new one next day and collected the dead unit. Now to install stuff all over again, and do a tidier job this time.....
Impressive customer service :-)

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”