DATV-Express Project

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
F4HSL

Re: DATV-Express Project

Post by F4HSL » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:58 am

Hello Charles and Steve,
It seems there is an USB problem with the Lime and Windows (10?). Here are the results of my last testing :
When I connect the lime directly on my USB3 port and starting the PC after a complete shutdown with on/off, all is ok. I have to shutdown the PC (on/off) to retry properly the test. It seems that the lime does not support to be ejected when the PC is on, even with application software is properly closed of course.
When I connect the lime with an USB3 Hub (I tried with different hubs), everything is wrong, the lime is very often not recognised, sometimes as an USB2 device, even with the above procedure, not only with express software but also with SDR console. I get an error in the windows system journal (problem of authorisation in com object) and the PC does not want to properly shutdown, i have to action the on/off button. Same things with another PC.
Strange behaviour...
Have you tested the lime with an hub connection ? hot ejecting ? reconnect ?
Best 73's
Yves
PS : do you know the leds signification of the lime mini (red, flashing green/red, flashing green) ?

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:11 am

Yves/Charles

Just tried a quick test with a USB3 hub; I normally connect direct. LimeSDR Mini is correctly detected in SDR Console and DATV Express software with or without the hub. One thing I hadn't noticed before is that it doesn't show up as an inserted USB device; there's no eject icon.

If I just pull the Lime out of the PC or hub and put it back it reconnects OK.

Must admit I'm not sure about the LED colours except that it shows green when connected; I've seen red, green and yellow.

73 Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

F4HSL

Post by F4HSL » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Ok Steve, what is your Windows version ? And the type of your PC ? and the lime board number (1.1 or 1.2) ?
Thanks
Yves

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Yves

My Lime board number is 1.2.

Windows 10 64bit Home on a newish (5 weeks) Dell gaming laptop, i7 8th gen.
All USB3.
1 x Thunderbolt 3 connector.
UHD Graphics.

Hope that helps.
Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 pm

All I can think is that it might be a power issue. The PC not providing enough current for the Lime-Mini.

- Charles

F4HSL

Post by F4HSL » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello Charles and Steve,
I connect the lime directly to the USB port before turning on the PC and all is ok. Your software is working very well and I have made a lot of experiences with it. However a big problem is the important latency specially with low SR, do you think it is possible to reduce it ?
Thanks again for your great work !
Best 73
Yves (F4hsl)

KenW6HHC

Post by KenW6HHC » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Art WA8RMC picked-up and tested the “production build” of 100 MiniTiouner-Express units of the design called “Rev B” from the assembly house. All units were tested by the second week in November and shipments started…mainly bulk-shipments to Charles G4GUO for redistribution to EU customers. 18 Units have been ordered and/or shipped to hams in EU. 2 more units have shipped within North America.

New RevB of MiniTiouner-Express with arrow pointing to the new J3 jumper set-up that was added. The push-on shorting plug is shown positioned (away from end of the board) to configure power regulators as the original design (that is: from J1 ext power supply)

It important to note that the new RevB units will ship with J3 configured to work like the original design; that is: to use external power supply connected to J1. If the J3-jumper-shunt is moved to be closest to the end of the board with RF connectors, then the power for the unit is obtained from a USB-3 port.

The huge spike in orders of MiniTiouner-Express units of course is due to the launch of the Es'hail-2 ham DATV satellite into orbit on November 15th.

Charles G4GUO has been spending much of his time designing a 250W RF Power Amplifier for 2.4 GHz for his Es'hail-2 satellite up-link transmitter.
The project team PCB layout guru, Tom WB6P, has been helping G4GUO by converting the AutoCAD files into industry-standard gerber-files

Ken W6HHC is continuing to update the Express_DVB_Transmiter User Guide to emphasize that v1.25LP11 software has transitioned to cover four transmitter boards:
* DATV-Express board
* LimeSDR-USB (larger) board
* LimeSDR-mini board
* PLUTO-ADLM board

New photos are being prepared using MiniTiouner-Express-B and using LimeSDR-mini (etc.) with the v1.25LP11 software for the User Manual updates.

Art WA8RMC has been helping Ken W6HHC to upgrade the MiniTiouner-Express User Guide to include the new power supply options available with the addition of J3 in RevB.

Project Speed is set to slow….de Ken W6HHC

KenW6HHC

Post by KenW6HHC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Just a quick post to announce that the User Guide for Express_DVB_Transmitter- Draft 14 for the v1.25LP11 software for Windows is now available to download. The PDF can be found at www.DATV-Express.com on the DOWNLOADS page. It now fully covers using LimeSDR boards and has a good start on installing with PLUTO boards.

73...de Ken W6HHC

KenW6HHC

Post by KenW6HHC » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Just a quick announcement that a v1.25LP12 version of software upgrades the software to be compatible with the latest firmware from Lime MicroSystems.
The Windows set-up.exe file and the NOTES file are now available at www.DATV-Express.com on the DOWNLOADS page.

Many thanks to G4GUO for his efforts.

73…de Ken W6HHC

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks for the update, the latest Lime drivers need to be installed too from here https://wiki.myriadrf.org/LimeSDR-USB_d ... stallation and then the LimeSDR appears under USB devices. Perhaps worth adding that to the manual as I went through the process several times wondering what I was doing wrong until that was pointed out.
The LimeSDR seems to transmit a decent carrier and mod looking at my RSP spectrum analyser but it won't lock in MT. If I plug the Lime into my RPi Portsdown its as good as gold so I'm assuming the Lime is 100% fine.

Both my Plutos, which I have been successfully using with the earlier version of Express DVB as a variable signal source to test small amplifiers with DATV, has also stopped transmitting anything visible. Carrier only will appear, but its not a very nice (clean) looking signal.

I realise its not very helpful to say 'its stopped working' but everything ticks and configures as I have read in the guide and as expected it to, just no DATV output signal. I've re-installed the Pluto drivers and Express, and re-booted the laptop.

About the only difference I noticed is that with the earlier version, TX stream bar would run at about 20%, not there is nothing showing in that bar whatever I transmit, symbol rate wise. Have I 'broken' it?

Suggestions very welcome, it was so very handy.

Gareth, G4XAT

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”