Software recommendation please.

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M5TXJ

Software recommendation please.

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am

Hi folks,
I've just purchased what I hope is a good quality RTL-SDR dongle for use with Leandvb built into my Portsdown. I've read on the forum that this can also be used with my PC as a spectrum monitor to check the output of PA's when used for DV. What is the best software to use for this and is it really good enough for purpose? Comments on your experiences too please. Laptop is an i3 and Windows 7.
73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Software recommendation please.

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Dave

I use SDRSharp from here: https://airspy.com/download/

Go for the Windows SDR Software Package. Install it and then you need to run "rtlsdr.bat" to sort the drivers for the RTL-SDR.

You can also use the RTL-SDR from your Windows PC while it is connected to your Portsdown. The RTL-SDR can also be configured as a RTL-TCP Server for use with SDRSharp on a network-connected PC by selecting a button on Menu 3. I've just realised that I need to write an instructions page on the Wiki for this!

Dave

g0mjw

Re: Software recommendation please.

Post by g0mjw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 pm

You might also look at SDR Console and a host of other packages.

A problem is that the bandwidth is only up to about 3.2MHz. This is fine for RBTV but clearly not for 4MS - fear not though as amateurs have developed scanning software. Have a look at RTL-SDR.COM e.g.the post on https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtlsdr-scanner- ... -released/ You can do your own with gnuradio but maybe that's a bit too advanced.

Mike
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (303.88 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”