DVB-ASI to Ethernet or USB adapter

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4GUO

DVB-ASI to Ethernet or USB adapter

Post by G4GUO » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 am

Before I waste my time building my own does anyone have a link to an
inexpensive and easy to buy DVB-ASI to .... adapter, preferably one they have
actually used?

- Charles

AndyCN

Re: DVB-ASI to Ethernet or USB adapter

Post by AndyCN » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Charles,
Does it have to be Ethernet/USB ?
Would PCI work ? I may have a PCI ASI card - but before I go hunting for it - let me know if PCI would work.
Andy

AndyCN

Post by AndyCN » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33 pm

I have one of these to donate if you want it. ( now located - not recently tested )
http://www.dveo.com/broadcast/dvb-asi-pci-ts.shtml
Windows7/Linux drivers.

I haven’t used it for years ( I have some DekTec units now ).

I have also used MediaPump 503 devices - although getting recent drivers is difficult.

DekTec/DVEO units have worked well for me under Linux - it depends what you want to do.
( The MediaPump performs live muxing - the DekTec/DVEO are much simpler )

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something that is cheap and is readily available.
I now know the answer and that is no such thing exists.

- Charles

vk5bd

Post by vk5bd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 am

Hello Andy,

We have a DVEO DVB Master TX 103 PCI to ASI card, we have been trying for some time now to send live stream out of the card to drive a DVB-S modulator, However we have yet to find a suitable software solution to do it live. We can play TS files and send them to the modulator but not use a live video feed (maybe from vMix) to generate a ASI TS for use with our local ATV repeater.
Have you come across some suitable software, whether it be IP in to ASI TS out or even use the Dshow output of vMix as the source media?

Regards,
Bevan
VK5BD

AndyCN

Post by AndyCN » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:26 pm

There are several things that you need to do this.

1. Create a transport stream from your h264 stream ( maybe you already have a TS , or you need to convert a PS to a TS )
2. You probably need to create appropriate SI tables , at a suitable rate and also in a TS stream. ( depends if you expect the receiver to automatically find the correct audio/video packets )
3. You need to correct the continuity counter in all appropriate packets
4. You need to measure the total bitrate and pad with null packets to reach the moduluator bitrate.
5. You may need to add the extra 16 bytes of error correction if your modulator needs it.

You could try vlc or for something more complete
Opencaster http://www.avalpa.com/the-key-values/15 ... opencaster

AndyCN

Post by AndyCN » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Note also - some modulators can add the 16 bytes or error correction (188->204 bytes per packet ).
I think some modulators can also add padding.
You will probably have an easier time if your video/audio transport stream is CBR ( constant bitrate ).
It might help if you explained the format that the working TS recordings are , and what problems you are having ( stuttering ? Nothing at all ? ). High BER on the receiver ?
Which modulator ? (tandberg ?).

What OS are you using for playout ?
For linux - using a FIFO is the best way.

vk5bd

Post by vk5bd » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the information above.

At this stage I have been working within Windows 7 but may have to look at Linux.

I have been able to play TS files via the software supplied (I'm not near the workshop to check the software name) with the card, however the plans was to do it in real time (live) producing the required video and broadcasting it live.

I have also been able to record a TS file from within vMix and after the file has been written to for 30 secs or so, I can then play that file for a while but the file stops playing prematurely, probably due to the file being read past the size the file was when the playback started.

May have to run vMix on a separate windows machine and then run something like open caster on the Linux machine and FIFO to allow the necessary processing on the fly.

I will look into the software that I have for the card, and see if there is a Linux version to work with the Dveo Master TX 103 Card

Regards,
Bevan

AndyCN

Post by AndyCN » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:11 pm

There are some linux drivers/example programs for DVEO here https://github.com/kierank/dveo-linux-m ... r/Examples

The utility for sending ASI data appears to accept input from a pipe , and thus FIFO should work fine.
In any case , the sourcecode for drivers and playout utilities is there as well.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”