DATV Express & H265

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g8vpg

DATV Express & H265

Post by g8vpg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Several of us here in Bristol have been running experiments over the past few weeks with the DATV Express running H265 codec. The quality of the pictures is truly astonishing, especially at low symbol rates on 146.5MHz. However, no one has a computer with a processor that is truly up to the task, mostly running at 100% processor resources. Does anyone have a guide as to the processor needed to run H265 2ms/s with some steam in hand? I probably need to upgrade the shack computer, but don't want to spend more than necessary, or even worse, not spend enough and still be struggling!
On a different note, I am trying a new H265 compliant satellite receiver, an AB Cryptobox 700HD, and it is the first that I have encountered that will automatically switch codecs on the fly. Unfortunately, it will not work below 2ms/s, but has a lock lamp and so could form the basis of a multi-mode multi-codec repeater input. It is £63.90 on Ebay from a UK supplier.
73 Shaun.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”